Just Brakes in Tempe? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Just Brakes in Tempe?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just Brakes in Tempe?

I am beginning to think they should be called Just-a-RipOff.
Daughter is in college, 1800 miles away.
We used them before in Atlanta, when we had a '94 GCherokee, and had a good experience, which is why I thought they know what they are doing.
She took her '99 Cherokee Sport (4.0L, 4WD) in to have them inspect the brakes after having some weird brake pedal feedback. Fronts were fine, but the rear needed new wheel cylinders, springs, shoes and drums turned.
No problem, very believable.
Now, and not before, the back end shakes aggressively at freeway speeds.
They will be looking into the problem soon, by my confidence in them is lacking due to another issue that has now come up.
1. What would cause this rear end shake at freeway speeds greater than 50mph after the rear brake work has been done?
2. Does any know of a good brake tech in the Tempe/Mesa area?

Thank you

-Drew

droopydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Most of these brake job shops employ parts changers, not mechanics. They cater to people who come in and want the 39.95 special. Their experience with diagnosing issues is very limited. We actually had a shop in the area who had on their sign for a while "We Fix the 39.95 Brake Job"

That being said, just because there is an issue after the install doesn't mean they ripped you off. That's a pretty serious accusation, especially with them willing to look at it and fix anything they may have screwed up.

I never recommend "brake" places. If they cannot diagnose and fix the issue, I would ask for at least a partial refund so that you can take it to a shop that can.

Finding a decent repair shop can be as easy as asking someone at the local parts store, they deal with them, and they usually know who's worth their salt.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Holder.
My accusation goes further than just this rear end job.
They turned the front rotors without our consent, saying that the steering geometry may be off, causing the rear end wobble. Now, after the front rotors being turned, the front wobbles. They want $400+ for dealer owner Caliper Mounting brackets, thinking that this will now fix the front end wobble and May or MayNot fix the rear end wobble.
(I did confirm that it is a Dealer Only part, not avail through AutoZ, Advance, OReilly, or PepBoys)

In your opinion, what might be the cause of a rear end wobble after a $380 rear end brake job?

It is frustrating when I am 1800 miles away and cant help 20 yr old daughter with this.
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Finding a decent repair shop can be as easy as asking someone at the local parts store, they deal with them, and they usually know who's worth their salt.

This is good advice. Ask the parts stores that sell to the shops, like a NAPA or CarQuest. Autozone & Advanced, not so much.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydawg View Post
Thanks Holder.
My accusation goes further than just this rear end job.
They turned the front rotors without our consent, saying that the steering geometry may be off, causing the rear end wobble. Now, after the front rotors being turned, the front wobbles. They want $400+ for dealer owner Caliper Mounting brackets, thinking that this will now fix the front end wobble and May or MayNot fix the rear end wobble.
(I did confirm that it is a Dealer Only part, not avail through AutoZ, Advance, OReilly, or PepBoys)

In your opinion, what might be the cause of a rear end wobble after a $380 rear end brake job?

It is frustrating when I am 1800 miles away and cant help 20 yr old daughter with this.
These guys sound incompetent.

Does the rear 'wobble' only when the brakes are applied, or all the time? If it's all the time, how does she know it's the rear end with the wobble?

If worse comes to worse, and we cannot diagnose this easily via this forum, I know a very competent, HONEST, independent mechanic nearby to Tempe (10 miles away) that could sort this out.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
jk_surgeonfish
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hoppers Automotive in Tempe. Old school and they know what they are doing.
jk_surgeonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I work at advance and we have the caliper mounting brackets. Though i think they come with the new calipers, but $58 per caliper.

I can't think of anything that would cause the rear end to shake from a brake job. Loose lug nuts? Knocked a wheel weight off?
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If youre getting a vibration after they turned the drums and rotors on both occasions, then possibly theyre either setting up the drums/rotors incorrectly on the lathe, the lathe assembly has an issue, or it might be something as simple as them not cleaning off the rust from the rotor/drum surface as well as the mating surface on the hub. Have them or somebody check the rotors with a dial indicator to look for warpage.

Had an issue with the ammco lathe at my shop that kept warping rotors and giving terrible cuts because the arbor was bent.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
These guys sound incompetent.

Does the rear 'wobble' only when the brakes are applied, or all the time? If it's all the time, how does she know it's the rear end with the wobble?

If worse comes to worse, and we cannot diagnose this easily via this forum, I know a very competent, HONEST, independent mechanic nearby to Tempe (10 miles away) that could sort this out.
Happens all the time, over 50mph on the 101. Good point, "how does she know?" I guess we are assuming it is the rear, since at the time, they only did the brake work on the rear. They only played with the front the next time we brought it in with the complaint of the rear wobble.

Like to just tell her to stay below 50mph, but she works at a pizza joint in far north Scottsdale, and taking the 101 just makes more sense than taking scottsdale/rural all the way up when she lives on Apache Blvd.
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Part of their service is to repack the wheel bearings. Are the rear wheel bearings servicable? "Stoner John" there said that the rears are not.
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

My first guess would be a wheel weight that got knocked off while they were doing the initial service.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
My first guess would be a wheel weight that got knocked off while they were doing the initial service.

- Justin
That happened to my front left tire. You can hear it clunking down inside the tire when you slow down. Did not cause any shaking though.
Worse part is the ashats that work there broke two of my center caps. I had spares but still.
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post

- Justin
I tend to agree. This sounds like a wheel balance issue more than a brake issue.

Brake drums that are not turned properly (or warped out of round) tend to show up on light to medium braking, but only when applied.

The rear wheel bearings on a 3/4 floating axle (which is what most solid axle rear wheel drive cars and light trucks have) are lubricated by axle oil, not grease, and are not "packed" as part of any service.

There is no such thing as a 'caliper mounting bracket' on your model year of XJ. The calipers are bolted to, and the pads ride on, features in the steering knuckle. Knuckles are known to wear so that the pads will stick on the surfaces upon which they slide, but this can be repaired by welding up the worn surface and redressing it with a file. However, it is doubtful that such wear would cause vibration at 50+mph without the brakes applied.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

All good advice, and I agree that a wheel bearing is the most likely culprit for a vibraton.

Could be well worth the time and money to have them balanced.

AZ Jeff its correct there are no caliper mounting brackets. Just the knuckle. Its a common problem on XJs for the knuckle to wear where the pads ride. But this causes uneven pad wear, not a vibration.

Sent from my phone where correct grammar is difficult.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the latest. They balanced all four wheels. No change. They did notice some other things that need attention. Rear passenger side leaf spring shackle cracked and one of the sway bar links broken. (I replaced both links in August) I would think that either one of these things could cause the wobble, but I am not a suspension person nor do I know jeeps like most if this board. I find it quite coincidental that there was not a wobble prior to them putting their hands on the car. Guy also said he took pictures and would be happy to text them to me. Never got them on Wednesday as promised. I called him, the same guy, about the pictures today and he promised to send them right away and would call me right after. Didn't happen.
When I have a really good experience with a service provider, I send a note to corporate. (I wonder if that Marine that works part-time at the Pep Boys on McClintock and Apache, in Tempe, got a raise) When I have a really crappy experience, I also send a note to corporate. Guess who will hear from me on Monday.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.