Just bought my first Cherokee with questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Just bought my first Cherokee with questions

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
MARGR4V3Z

Just bought my first Cherokee with questions

Just bought a 96 Cherokee Sport with I believe a 6" Lift. Correct me with what you may think. Guy I bought it from didnt put lift on so he was unsure how high. It has 164k miles. Anything I should check over on it? Also one of the sway bar links is not connected and I cant seem to find the exact one anywhere so I want to just replace both of them. Could someone point me in the right direction? Let me know! Thanks!

jeepp.jpg   sway-bar-link.jpg  
MARGR4V3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

measure the ride height: http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/tech/rideheight
Now this is not total lift over stock, for that you would need to add in the lift provided by the tires.

That link looks broken, but could have just lost the cotter pin. I would just get a new set. they are not expensive.

As to what else you should do to it. IDK depends on what has been done already. Chances are you should start going through everything front to rear and start servicing and inspecting and replacing stuff as needed. Detailed pics might be helpfull for advise on the lift. Like are the Control arms and trackbar stock or aftermarket. Do you have a SYE and or TC drop? do you need one?
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
MARGR4V3Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
measure the ride height: http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/tech/rideheight
Now this is not total lift over stock, for that you would need to add in the lift provided by the tires.

That link looks broken, but could have just lost the cotter pin. I would just get a new set. they are not expensive.

As to what else you should do to it. IDK depends on what has been done already. Chances are you should start going through everything front to rear and start servicing and inspecting and replacing stuff as needed. Detailed pics might be helpfull for advise on the lift. Like are the Control arms and trackbar stock or aftermarket. Do you have a SYE and or TC drop? do you need one?

Okay I will have to look into that lift height. Yeah from the driver side sway bar link it has a sleeve holding that side on. But I want to just get a new set like you said but I dont know what size or where to get them from? I just left for out of town for the week but when I get back I will post some more detailed pics! Im not sure whether it has a SYE or TC drop. How can I find out?
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

XJ looks good. I'd say buy new quick disco's. You can buy them anywhere, I buy a lot of that stuff @ seriousoffroad.com. Good guy to deal with, I just bought new disco's yesterday (JKS is what I bought). They are adjustable from 3.5-6", so you can't go wrong.

SYE, if you have one the back of your transfer case will look like this:

The new (shiny) cap along with the new shaft (you can't see) eliminates the interior slip yoke & your drive shaft will be a spline shaft:

TC drop will be some box steel that is between your unibody & cross member that holds up your transfer case. Post picks & we can help you out.

Good luck
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
MARGR4V3Z

JKS quick dosconnects are on the way thanks to blkhwk20k. I took some more pics and did a little looking underneath. It appears I dont have a TC drop or SYE correct me if im wrong. Also I measured the distance between the wheel axle hub and bottom of fender flare for front and rear and it appears they are not level. The rear measured 23 1/2" and the front measured 27'. 3 and a half inches seems like to big of a difference from front to rear? The rear has Rancho RS5000 shocks and the front has Skyjacker Shocks. What do you all suggest?
drive.jpg   rear-shock.jpg   steering.jpg  
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
SkeeterTZX
2000 TJ Wrangler 

that tailshaft is sticking WAY on out there. my XJ wasnt near that bad and i had to shim to keep the vibes down.
SkeeterTZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Stock coil spring is 11" at ride height(give or take). Measure your coil top to bottom and include spacer puck if you have one, subtract 11 for general lift height. Sye is nice to have as stated. Being a late model the tail housings are different so the pic you posted looks fine.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterTZX
that tailshaft is sticking WAY on out there. my XJ wasnt near that bad and i had to shim to keep the vibes down.
Agree, I'd be looking into an SYE & front DS from a junk yard or a Tatton or Tom Woods DS. That doesn't look healthy.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
MARGR4V3Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Stock coil spring is 11" at ride height(give or take). Measure your coil top to bottom and include spacer puck if you have one, subtract 11 for general lift height. Sye is nice to have as stated. Being a late model the tail housings are different so the pic you posted looks fine.
I will have to check into those measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post
Agree, I'd be looking into an SYE & front DS from a junk yard or a Tatton or Tom Woods DS. That doesn't look healthy.
Okay thats what I was thinking. Now is it something I can install a SYE? This is my first Jeep so if never messed with them. I would like to keep the costs to a minimum as well, any suggestions for parts locations would be appreciated.
Unread Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #10
MARGR4V3Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
I had time to measure tonight and including the spacer I got a measurement of 20". So my front has a 9" lift and the rear is a 6.5" lift? Is it good to have that much of a difference in front to rear? I took a picture of both sides of the springs and the drivers side spring seems to be off the spacer some is that bad and how can it be fixed?
spring.jpg   driver-spring.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.