just bought a jeep didnt check something - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > just bought a jeep didnt check something

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

just bought a jeep didnt check something

and that something was the oil. well i did but not well enough, i bought with it sounding kinda of rattly under the hood. figured it needed a valve adjustment or sticky lifter. the noise was more apparent in the cab then under the hood. i just checked the oil and it looks bone dry. i added 4 1/2 quarts of oil in there (10w-30) quieted it down drastically. has good oil pressure per gauge about 32 idle and above 40 psi when accelerating. no more rattling sound when driving, but there is a taping sound at idle. not a deep knock but more of a solid tap, does not become louder as rpms go up, actually it pretty much disappears.

im pretty sure its not rod knock as that usually gets louder as the rpms increase and i have heard rod knock before.

possibly the flex plate bolts? but the noise goes faint as i rev.

other failures???

xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The 4.0 is noisey. Every jeep I've been around tends to have a tap noise at low RPMs.

However, I'm not saying running without oil didn't cause any damage..
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

when i get a chance im going to remove the pan and inspect the rod connector bolts, bearings and clean up the pan.

also going to check all the flywheel bolts after work tomorrow.

now i gotta figure out some other small issues.
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If it goes faint/away when revving it would be your flex plate bolts. I bought a jeep for $700 same as you described, and tightened the bolts with blue locktite, never made a peep again.
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Something to look for:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/pic-...ulcrum-163221/

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the suggestions guys. im really hoping my decent deal wont turn in to a money pit.

but i do enjoy a project, i just dont want to tare down an engine in an apartment parking lot lol

other things i need to fix are. clunking from the rear end area. ujoints feel tight, shocks feel solid.

clunking in the front when making sharp turns, possible u joint. lower ball joints look fine.

and just noticed it smokes when idling for a while, i asked the guy if it ever smoked................he said no.

welp wish me luck.
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
mnewxcv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

where does it smoke from?
mnewxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
where does it smoke from?
Out of the exhaust. It ran clean when I was checking it put though, I'm going to run some 10-40 when I change the oil later this week. the smoke is not bunch, can't see it when driving.
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
mnewxcv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman View Post
Out of the exhaust. It ran clean when I was checking it put though, I'm going to run some 10-40 when I change the oil later this week. the smoke is not bunch, can't see it when driving.
maybe it didnt smoke because it had no oil when you looked
mnewxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdantheman View Post
Give the exhaust a light sniff to see if you smells sweet light antifreeze.(Obvious do not massive inhale the exhaust, durrr.) Check your coolant level to see if it drops over time. This would indicate a leaking head gasket.

On older engines the valve stem seals leak letting oil drip down into the combustion chamber. Replacing these are fairly easy to do without removing the head.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
maybe it didnt smoke because it had no oil when you looked
This could unfortunately be the case
Had a nissan that would smoke like a freighttrain. Id just look out the mirror every once in a while when driving, and when it wasnt smoking it was time to pull over and add oil.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.