Just bought first Cherokee- tranny fluid question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Just bought first Cherokee- tranny fluid question

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Joepla15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just bought first Cherokee- tranny fluid question

I just got a 2000 Cherokee with 113k miles. The tranny fluid color looks golden brown, almost like oil, but is clear and clean. It shifts nicely as well so I'm hoping that the fluid just needs to be changed. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited by Joepla15; 12-20-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Joepla15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes! Change ALL the fluids in an unknown maintained XJ.

Tranny gets Dex/Merc III NOT MOPAR ATF+4. It's a Toyota tranny. I wouldn't worry about changing the filter really. Just a drain/fill. There is a plug on the bottom.

Use Synthetic Blend ATF in Transfer case, Syn Blend in both diffs also.

Consider flushing the coolant and refilling with a quality anti-freeze and distilled water.

If you REALLY want to mess with it, get a turkey baster and remove as much power steering fluid as you can and refill. Same to the master cylinder. Just DONT remove all of the brake fluid in the master. Leave about 1/2 inch in the bottom and refill. Careful there.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of the older XJs have overheating problems because people don't maintain the cooling systems.

I'd do a coolant flush, change the fan clutch and the rad cap at a minumim. Probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to throw a waterpump at it too!
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also keep a close eye on your coolant level in the reservoir. If you notice a consistent drop in the level with no apparent leak, you may have a cracked cylinder head like hundreds of other folks including me. Do a search and educate yourself about 0331 cylinder heads. There is plenty of information here to help you diagnose a potential cracked head.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Joepla15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman_1 View Post
Yes! Change ALL the fluids in an unknown maintained XJ.

Tranny gets Dex/Merc III NOT MOPAR ATF+4. It's a Toyota tranny. I wouldn't worry about changing the filter really. Just a drain/fill. There is a plug on the bottom.

Use Synthetic Blend ATF in Transfer case, Syn Blend in both diffs also.

Consider flushing the coolant and refilling with a quality anti-freeze and distilled water.

If you REALLY want to mess with it, get a turkey baster and remove as much power steering fluid as you can and refill. Same to the master cylinder. Just DONT remove all of the brake fluid in the master. Leave about 1/2 inch in the bottom and refill. Careful there.
Thanks for the fluid info. I'm getting on that today!
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Joepla15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalali View Post
Also keep a close eye on your coolant level in the reservoir. If you notice a consistent drop in the level with no apparent leak, you may have a cracked cylinder head like hundreds of other folks including me. Do a search and educate yourself about 0331 cylinder heads. There is plenty of information here to help you diagnose a potential cracked head.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
Never thought of that so thanks. I'll be keeping a close eye out. As of now the jeep is running at the temp it should be and the previous owner had no problem with coolant, as he had it in Canada for the past few months, but if there is a cracked head in the future what is the cost and how much of a head ache is it to repair?
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Joepla15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Again, thank you for the info! I feel much more confident with the Cherokee now!
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
OnTheFence

Does the turkey baster approach really work for brake lines?
The fluid doesn't "flow" and is just stagnant in the lines.
Replacing the fluid in the master cyl. will not address any bad fluid in the 4 lines, right?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Does the turkey baster approach really work for brake lines?
The fluid doesn't "flow" and is just stagnant in the lines.
Replacing the fluid in the master cyl. will not address any bad fluid in the 4 lines, right?
It does. Not as good as flushing it all out obvisouly but it helps getting rid of some of the mold without having to bleed the system. The new fluid will spread by diffusion.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
It does. Not as good as flushing it all out obvisouly but it helps getting rid of some of the mold without having to bleed the system. The new fluid will spread by diffusion.

Bingo.

I didn't feel like bleeding my system in 1F weather to refresh the brake fluid. Figured that removing as much of the nasty old black fluid from the res was better then nothing. The old girl is getting a complete brake overhaul next spring/summer anyways.

Also works once you DO flush the brakes. Pulling as much nasty DOT3 from the master BEFORE pumping the crap thru the system is a win-win also.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
kateean2

A lot of the older XJs have overheating problems because people don't maintain the cooling systems.

kateean2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Joepla15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I wish I would have known to not bother dropping the tranny fluid pan. That definitely was not as easy as my last tj and according to the dealership, they don't even bother dropping it because of how much of a hassle it is.
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The hard part is getting the dipstick tube to mate with the trans pan again.
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Joepla15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
The hard part is getting the dipstick tube to mate with the trans pan again.
I couldn't even get the tubes to separate and since I broke the seal on the pan and couldn't seal it up properly when I was done, I have a slow leak now.
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I believe (someone may have a link for it) that the common sure to the dip stick tube problem was to hack it off and replace it with a rubber hose that is zip-tied on and thus can easily be removed and replaced the next time you need to change your trans filter.

Someone? Anyone?

**Edit**

Here we go... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/2...ssion-1176348/
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.