Just bought an '89 XJ Limited...a few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Just bought an '89 XJ Limited...a few questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
maalox
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Just bought an '89 XJ Limited...a few questions

Hi guys. I just picked up an '89 Cherokee Limited a few days ago, and I have a few questions:

1. There is a "screen" below the clock in the dash, next to the radio and heater controls. Is there supposed to be some sort of display there?

2. What is the screen between the visors supposed to display? The lens in mine is cracked, and was glued back together by the previous owner, and it doesn't show anything. I pulled the lens off, and there are some sort of electronics behind it, but I'm not sure what they are for.

3. The power locks don't work. When you push the button to lock them, all of the lock buttons above the door handles twitch, but none of them lock. The PO told me that this was a recurring problem with the truck, but had no idea what the fix was.

4. The rear wiper doesn't work. Fuse is good, I haven't checked to see if it's getting power back there. Just figured I'd fish to see if there are any typical issues with it.

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

1. It's just black plastic. I thought it was some kind of screen too when I bought mine. It's just that, the circuitboard for the clock is so big, they had to put something there.

2. The screen between the sunvisors is the reciever for the keyless entry. If you can find a remote, you can program it yourself.

3. You lock actuators and linkage is prob getting stuck. Buy some lithium grease and spray the linkages behind the door panel.

4. Turn it on and put your ear by it to see if you can hear it buzzing. The motor might just be burnt out. It's an easy replacement.

-Chris
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
jrock

The "screen" below the clock is for the systems sentry, I think only available on 84-85 trucks, and even then an extremely rare option. I found this on naxja.org:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=oddly

Scroll down to the bottom- you can't miss it
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, that's crazy. I want one.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.