Just bought an 86 XJ, questions.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Just bought an 86 XJ, questions....

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Could that also affect the rough cold idle?

Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Could somehow but I'd suspect other causes.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, I'll tighten them up and check it out. Another question... Like I said with the cold start the idle is rough and it stalls... well after i had it running for quite a while today I parked, sat for a few minutes, then I put it in reverse and it stalled right out. So I started it back up and put it in reverse, and the idle in reverse is really rough, could this be vacuum as well?
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Could very well be a vacuum leak causing the cold rough idle. 1986 was during the Renix era which brings some unique quirks. Is your a 4 or 6 cylinder?
Oh and you're right about the tire width causing the rear of the inboard front tire to rub on the LCA during sharp turns. You can use a washer or two to shim the steering stops out to where it won't turn far enough to rub, but if you drive it very often you'll soon know just how far you can turn the wheel before it rubs.
Could you show a picture of where I'd put these washers, sorry to bring back my once dead post... I'm just not sure where to put the washers so they don't rub, I don't care much about losing the turning diameter, its my gfs xj anyways, so I'd rather her not rub them all the time till a tire gets shaved off. Lol
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Check this out. XJ steering stop adjustment

Usually steering stops are adjusted by loosening the locking nut and screwing the bolt in or out however, Cherokees have spot welds on the bolts to secure the nut. In that case, unscrew the bolt and add washers as needed. 31x10.5″ tires on stock rims may need two washers on each bolt.
When adjusting the stops, keep in mind that the driver’s side bolt will keep the passenger’s side wheel from rubbing the control arm, and vice versa.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Check this out. XJ steering stop adjustment

Usually steering stops are adjusted by loosening the locking nut and screwing the bolt in or out however, Cherokees have spot welds on the bolts to secure the nut. In that case, unscrew the bolt and add washers as needed. 31x10.5″ tires on stock rims may need two washers on each bolt.
When adjusting the stops, keep in mind that the driverís side bolt will keep the passengerís side wheel from rubbing the control arm, and vice versa.
Thank you

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.