Just bought - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Just bought

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-19-2002, 10:37 AM   #1
martinm24

Just bought 85 Cherokee V6

I am new to the forum and I just recently bought a resale Jeep Cherokee 85 v6 2.8L, now I don't know that much about this particular model and I have some real issues with it to start. I was hoping that someone might lead me into the right direction.

I picked this up at an auto auction. I would say that I got a ok price for it but not a great deal. I use to have a 73 CJ5 w/304 in it and loved every minute that I owned it. Now I have a child and want to protect her from the elements, but still want to have a great time.

Before I even put my newborn in this vehicle I have some issues that I would like input on.

1. The header is missing a gasket and is not fully attached to the block. I was getting a lot of fumes in though the vents as I drove the vehicle home.
2. The engine was supposedly rebuilt a year ago, it did not seem to have the ‘oomph’ that I would expect from a V6. (Is this because of the header?)
3. I am getting really bad smells inside the cab, and I don’t think it has anything to do with the green chili burrito that I had for lunch. But is smells of a mixture of oil and exhaust. I wish that I could give you a reading on the oil pressure but the gauge is inoperable.
4. Can’t get the back hack to open. I can open it from the inside (the previous owner removed the paneling) but the key only turns the lock ¼ turn clockwise and won’t let the key go. It acts as if it is locked and pushes in without disengaging the switch.
5. The rear ‘pumpkin’ is leaking a bit; I assume that all this is just a seal problem.
6. The vehicle pulls to the right when I brake. Could this be due to the pads, again something I just have to look into I guess?

For now that is all that I can see that is wrong with the vehicle, it has new tires, rims, and one of the units that is off the belt looks new (I think it is the alternator).

Thank you for your time reading my post and hope that someone out there might be able to assist me in my mission for a safe ride.

Last edited by martinm24; 08-19-2002 at 11:15 AM..
martinm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2002, 11:21 AM   #2
BrianG

1. Get this fixed soon, I dont think it can be too good for the engine. Are all the bolts there? If so just get a gasket, and torque it down.
2. Most likely the header.
3. Check the exhaust, manifolds (most likely cracked), cat.
4. Try spraying some WD-40 inside the key-hole.
5. Just remove the rear cover, replace the gasket, and put the cover back on, hopefully it stops the leaking.
6. Sounds like you may have a brake out, or a worn one?

This sounds like a good project vehicle, have fun .
Unread 08-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
martinm24

85 V6 2.8L

Thanks Brian

I am trying to contact some local muffler shops to see if they can complete the work but they all say that that will be a engine repaire that they don't cover, just bolt on muffler stuff. Oh well, it sounds like I have a trip to AutoZone or someplace for parts and get my hand dirty. Oh the joy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.