junk yard AX-15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > junk yard AX-15

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

junk yard AX-15 removal help

im new to the forum and to jeeps in general so bare with me please

I recently bought a 1993 cherokee sport 4X4 with a straight 6 and what i believe is a AX-15 tranny internal slave. I noticed that the bell housing has cracked all the way across the top.

found a 1993 2WD at the junk yard with a straight 6 and again what i believe to be a AX-15 also internal slave. i was wondering if you all have any tips, tricks or secrets to removing a transmission or special tools needed. also how much does the AX-15 weigh by itself?

As its in a junk yard and dont really care about anything getting damaged do you think it would be easier to drop the motor and tranny as one unit then take the tranny of off the motor.

I plan on putting a new clutch set in is there anything else i should address while the tranny is out?

thanks

Last edited by cbr900; 01-20-2011 at 04:35 PM..
cbr900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about the '93, but some of the older models used an external Torx head on the two upper bellhousing to block bolts. Should take an E14 socket if it has them. You can sometimes get a 10mm six-point socket to turn them, if the head of the bolt and the socket are in really good shape. However, you can also sometimes round off the head of the bolt/ruin the socket trying to get them off that way. It also doesn't help that those bolts are a real bear to get a socket on in the first place. While you have the transmission out, you should go ahead and replace the input shaft seal on the transmission, and possibly the rear main seal in the engine. May save you some headaches in the future. Also, keep in mind that you will have to swap the t-case adapter from your transmission to the "new" one in order to be able to bolt your t-case up to it. Or, you could simplify, and just swap the bellhousing from the "new" transmission to your old one. Either way, you should still replace that input shaft seal. Also, make sure you remember to apply a little grease to the pilot bearing before re-installation. A good grade of "Moly" grease is best for this. You should also apply a thin coat of Moly to the input shaft splines where the clutch disk rides on them.

On a side note, if you want to know if your transmission is an AX-15 or an AX-4/5, look at the shift pattern. If its a four speed, you have an AX-4. If its a five speed, and you have to move the shifter over beyond fifth and back to go to reverse, its an AX-5. If its a five speed, and reverse is directly back from fifth (should have an interlock; you shouldn't be able to go straight from fifth to reverse, or reverse to fifth, without a stop in neutral), its an AX-15.

Not sure about the weight, but its a little better than a hundred pounds, IIRC. Not sure about pulling the engine and transmission together, as I've never tried it. If the proper tools are available, it may be easier to pull the grill, A/C condenser, and radiator and pull the whole works out through the front.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions if you need more help. Best of luck!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for help i bought a torx socket set today, i was thinking of just renting a cherry picker and pulling the engine and tranny out all in one shot. i hate working under cars at the junk yard they are not all that stable by any means. looks like i do have a AX15 thanks for the tip.

one last question as im really only after the bell housing and dont want to crack it, would the weight of the tranny itself crack it when i pull it out with the engine?

i would take the entire transmission but its a "cash for clunkers" jeep so i know its fried. man i hate that program it destroyed so many great cars.
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

For just the purpose of pulling the assembly, no, the bellhousing shouldn't be hurt. I wouldn't try running the vehicle with no support under the transmission, but a static load like it just hanging there shouldn't be a problem. As for the Torx, if it has Torx bolts, they will be external Torx. Instead of being recessed, like a "socket head" (Allen) bolt, an external Torx looks like a hex bolt head, with "notches" cut between the corners. In short, it looks like a regular Torx bit, not the recessed hole that a regular Torx bit fits into. This is an external Torx bolt and socket:

As I said earlier, I'm not sure if a '93 will have the external Torx or not, but the older models used them. Check yours and see if it has them. If not, chances are the JY one won't either.

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just so ya know... If you put a 2WD trans in you cant reinstall your transfer case.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thanks im only after the bell housing
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Just so ya know... If you put a 2WD trans in you cant reinstall your transfer case.

Unless he, as I advised him above, swaps the t-case adapter from his old tranny to the "new" one. But, as he said above, all he really needs is the bellhousing, so it doesn't really matter.

Unread 01-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
onespeedpaul

just sent you a PM....i have an ax15 bellhousing sitting on my garage floor, and am just west of houston...
onespeedpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
ExgrayXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

internal heartbreak

To save yourself some aggravation, replace the slave cylinder while you are in there,btdt
ExgrayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE.........

just got back from the junk yard i ended up taking the entire transmission out of another jeep. man those torx bolts suck i brought a 1 foot extension i was about 2 feet short, so i dropped the motor and tranny. having access made a world of difference.

now decision time do i ebay that baby as all i need is the bell housing or keep it as a spare?
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

redneck tranny removal.....pretty sure its good fluid was topped off nice and clean turned the input shaft and smoothly shifted through all forward and reverse.

Last edited by cbr900; 01-21-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
onespeedpaul

glad it worked out! if you ever want to go to external slave, i'll probably still have mine.
onespeedpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i might hit you up on that later but right now im trying to keep cost low

thanks
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB View Post
Unless he, as I advised him above, swaps the t-case adapter from his old tranny to the "new" one. But, as he said above, all he really needs is the bellhousing, so it doesn't really matter.
Converting a 2WD gearbox/slushbox to 4WD isn't (typically) merely a matter of swapping the tailcone for the transfer case adapter housing.

The mainshaft (manual) or output shaft (auto) is generally a few inches shorter, and the splines are usually different as well. So, you're looking at overhauling the box.

Also, some of the AX15s have no way to remove the tailshaft "adapter" as it is part of the casing.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Converting a 2WD gearbox/slushbox to 4WD isn't (typically) merely a matter of swapping the tailcone for the transfer case adapter housing.

The mainshaft (manual) or output shaft (auto) is generally a few inches shorter, and the splines are usually different as well. So, you're looking at overhauling the box.

Also, some of the AX15s have no way to remove the tailshaft "adapter" as it is part of the casing.
you are correct the pics i took will show that that that tailcone is indeed part of the housing, you can switch it over but it will take some work. you can move the gears between the two though they will drop straight in.

most of the time a transmission problem will be an issue with the gears so you can pull them out of the 2WD right into the 4WD

here is a pic of the 4WD AX15

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.