jumped xj=dead xj =( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jumped xj=dead xj =(

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
truckntractorhi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

jumped xj=dead xj =(

well i was driving along and i jumped the xj going about 60ish... upon takeoff the rear bottomed out (dang old leafs) and it flat out cut off. dead, nothing! my guess would be the fuel pump connector that is above the rear axle pumpkin so ill try to wire that in or something....... any thoughts?

truckntractorhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

jeeps require you always keep atleast two wheels on the ground
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does the fuel pump run?

When you turn the key to the ON position, the pump should energize and run for approximately 2 seconds.

Does it do that? If it doesn't, then yes....concentrate on the fuel pump, AND its control electronics.

But the pump does energize properly, then you should pull a spark plug and check for SPARK, as it may not be fuel related.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
truckntractorhi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok well i just went out and pulled a plug and volla! no spark while cranking. what are my options now?
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckntractorhi View Post
well i was driving along and i jumped the xj going about 60ish... upon takeoff the rear bottomed out (dang old leafs) and it flat out cut off. dead, nothing! my guess would be the fuel pump connector that is above the rear axle pumpkin so ill try to wire that in or something....... any thoughts?

...... any thoughts

You're blaming the poor little, all wheel drive, station wagons rear suspension .....

.......... For not getting you successfully recognised as orvilles and wilburs long lost, little brother ????????

X 2 with tjwalker on checking the pump & wiring ... Ive had issues just with bottoming out on lumpy roads in the TJ & XJ.

After that its a matter of checking all connectors, relays etc to ensure positive mating of connections.

Maybe you even cracked the coil ????
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Test your crankshaft position sensor. The "Dukes of Hazzards" jump may have taken it out.

Test your ignition coil.

Check all fuses.
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
truckntractorhi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hahaha hey my right foot got a little horny ok? but do you have a link for testing the ignition coil? im looking here:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...s-good-905398/ for CPS info. but idk if its different cause i have a manual? anyhow...... suspense! =P
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't have a link to a procedure for the coil. They need to be tested for primary and secondary resistances and there are specific high/low numbers.

Spring for a manual and you'll have that procedure and a good reference book for your future aerobatics!
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
truckntractorhi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok ill look it over in my repair manual.... man i forget to think sometimes! i also would like to add i have no gas or voltmeter readings. i am 100% sure they worked before..... that points to a CPS! could it be another thing other than that? the jeep has 214K and its suppose to be changed every 100K give or take.
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckntractorhi View Post
i also would like to add i have no gas or voltmeter readings. i am 100% sure they worked before..... that points to a CPS! could it be another thing other than that? the jeep has 214K and its suppose to be changed every 100K give or take.

Good additional advice as it provides a very important clue.

When the crank sensor fails a certain way, you can lose both the gas gauge and the voltmeter.

So yes, you are correct in that this points DIRECTLY to the crank sensor.

You can test the crank sensor if you like; my money is on this component all the way.

I buy my crank sensors directly from Jeep as I have had mixed (poor) luck with certain aftermarket sensors. Worth the extra money in reliability.
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Heres a good question.....WHY ISN'T THIS ON VIDEO???????
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

well to make light of the situation... i read the "HIGHLIGHTS" from the thread so far to my wife as proof that i am not the only one to do dump stuff in their jeep. i am referring to the time we were all out for a trail ride, me the pregnant wife and our 2 year old in a car seat in the back of the yj. i drove into the creek and the crossing had washed out on the bottom and there we sat, in water coming over the half doors. needless to say she was less than impressed. a $500 salvage motor and a weekend of work i had the jeep back on the road. she has not gone for a ride with me since. this was almost 2 years ago.

sorry to have no pertinent info to add to your diagnosis i just wanted to let you know i laughed very hard.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
truckntractorhi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well i put in a new CPS and nothing still no voltmeter or gas gauges...... could the ECM be gone?
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
truckntractorhi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your battery and grounds, and all your plugs to your ECM you might have shook everything loose when landing on the non regulated airfield. If nothing else works review the Flight Data Recorder information. I would also make sure all the relays are properly seated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.