hi everyone. first time poster. i recently (two weeks ago) purchased a 1999 cherokee limited with 174xxx. it is my second cherokee, and i am looking forward to bringing it back from a state of neglect. luckily the purchase price was somewhat low, but it has already set me back $1800 just to get it to pass inspection! it has the usual hiccups with the electrical system, but there have been a couple other items to arise that i thought i could use some advice.
1. check engine light came on and it threw the code 0182, low voltage to the natural gas temperature sensor. i am hoping someone could advise on what is needed to fix or a high level estimate on the cost of fixing.
2. to pass inspection i had to replace the windshield. the first time i got the jeep up to 60 it sounds as though air is being forced into the cabin either by a leak in the windshield, or through the vents somehow. it makes a good amount of racket, and the non working front speakers cannot drown it out. hoping to see if anyone has had a similar issue.
3. the jeep runs loud, v8 loud. sounds smooth and shifts nice, but it just sounds loud. i had to replace the tailpipe and muffler so i am wondering if this has anything to do with the noise level. i have not changed the fluids yet, and i am hoping that might offer some relief too. any ideas?
4. back end seems loose coming around turns. i am not taking any turns at high speeds, but slightly bumpy turns create elevated heart pumping. i am not sure if this is normal.
5. turning radius is poor, and when trying to make a tight turn, the steering wheel does not feel right (almost like it is rubbing parts that will be costly in the future), and i almost have to pull it back rather than rely on the power steering.
overall, the jeep needs some cosmetic work (headliner fabric, carpet scrub, liftgate crunch, dings and dents all over, new set of tires) but the interior is in some good shape. the engine is smooth running (loud but smooth), and it shifts nicely so i am hoping the drivetrain will be ok. i have only noticed a very small drip the size of a quarter in 2 weeks of owning, and i have a feeling it was water mixed with some undercarriage sediment so i think that is an ok sign. the guy that worked on it advised me to drive it for a month and see what happens. i know it needs an alignment, but other than that, these are the items i have discovered so far. this car is going to be the weekend warrior as i will be bringing it into better condition. i want to still have this jeep in 5-10 years, and be happy enjoying it the whole time. i welcome any and all pointers you can give to help me out. thanks in advance.
i will get some pics up when i can. i am guessing since i am so new it is not really allowing me to use that option yet. thanks again!