Jerky/Bucking Steering Wheel on Turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jerky/Bucking Steering Wheel on Turn

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Redcitycrawler
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Jerky/Bucking Steering Wheel on Turn

Hey all,
Specs:
It is a 97' XJ, factory 1" lift, 30" tires, new ball joints, bearings and steering stabilizer. Never taken on true "offroad trails" and is a daily driver.

Issue:
About two months ago I started getting this sensation while driving, it came out of now where and has been constant since. On slow speed gentle and sharp turns the steering wheel will jerk/buck while holding the wheel constant throughout the turn. When the speed is increased the jerking/bucking reduces but it is still noticeable. It similar to a rod riding on a cam, increasing then reducing ... if that makes any sense.

Things already tried:
Had my mechanic put the truck up on the lift and put it in drive while in 2WD. The front tires did not rotate. He then put it into 4WD and the front wheels did rotate but stopped when back in 2WD.

Side note:
Ever since I replaced my rotors, pads and calipers my front drivers wheel will squeak, getting faster as my speed increase but will stop as soon as I hit the brakes. I am assuming it is a warped rotor but am not sure and since I am hitting you all up already figured I would throw this out there too.

I appreciate any help and a case of beer for anyone that solves the steering wheel jerk issue!

Redcitycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Axle shaft u-joint.....

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Bill-Horn
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Check that the front ends of the frame, especially where the pittman arm gearbox is attached, aren't damaged or not tied together firmly. The front cross-member on the Cherokee is particularly weak and very often reinforcing the cross-piece will cure lots of steering/control issues.
Put your Jeep on an alignment rack and have someone turn the wheel from lock-to-lock several times while you watch the front-end from below. If the frame moves when the wheels are turning, you need to do something to tie the two members together like rock-solid. Check for damage where the gearbox bolts to the left-hand strut. Look for cracks or other damage to the frame in the way of the gearbox.

Cheers and good hunting!
Bill-Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Axle shaft u-joint.....
Typical symptoms, and a logical starting point.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had this same problem in my 97 XJ. I ended up replacing the front U Joint and hub assembly on my passenger side wheel.
commander0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Redcitycrawler
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the front U-joint when I had the ball joint/bearing work done last month.

I discovered this weekend when I was up at West Point that when I lightly held the brake while turning the steering wheel jerking disappeared. Could this and the damn squeaking be all tied to a warped rotor or bad caliper? Btw two hours of none stop squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak definitely tries your sanity.

I have not had an alignment done in over 10 years so maybe it is just her way of telling me to get it done.
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
buildin1XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Since all of this started after replacing your brakes I would lift the frontend and inspect your brake work first. Rotate that side and look for any drag against the rotor.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Redcitycrawler
1997 XJ Cherokee 

After multiple inspections and tinkering finally broke down and replaced the rotors and brake pads. This solved all the problems in one action, even got rid of the damn squeaking! Tried and true the easiest solution is usually the correct action. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.