Jerking steering wheel problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jerking steering wheel problems

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
cofferson
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jerking steering wheel problems

Ok, so this is my first post here, usually I can find a solution to my problems already posted on the forum and it has always been helpful. However, this time I cannot find anything similar to this problem so I figured it was time to make my own account.

The problem I am having is when I turn either way, the wheel will jerk almost as if 4wd is on, but it obviously isnt and it isnt the wheels turning at different rates. Also the wheel only jerks when I am pulling the wheel back around to straighten out, it doesnt jerk while holding the turn or going into it. It is also only notable whenever I turn a decent ammount (meaning I cannot feel it on the highway and such when you make gradual turns).

A little background, the jeep never did this until a few weeks back whenever the front left u joint totally burned out, I was at school so I had firestone replace it and the two front wheel bearings, the front right was bad already and the front left broke taking it off to fix the u joint. the u joint was pretty bad and was making the turning have that jerk in the wheel, it is a lot less now that it is fixed but now i have the symptom above, the firestone had no idea what it was and i honestly do not want them to touch it again, i like doing it myself but like I said i was at school so I was forced to let someone else work on it!!

Thank you for any help or advice a head of time!

cofferson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Renix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Grab a buddy have them turn the steering wheel while you watch the linkage, steering box, and trackbar. Look for worn out or broken parts. Also try to remove the gear box from the equation, remove the pitman arm and turn it lock to lock and see if you feel possible hesitation in the box, maybe a broken tooth in there. Also do you have to turn it back to center or will it go back to center on its own with a little assistance. Last think is the jeep lifted? Mods? Does it only happen while moving?
Renix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:27 AM   #3
highspeed
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a bad or failing power steering pump. As the pump starts to fail the pressure in the lines fluxuates causing erratic operation. You may have a power steering leak as well.

As renix stated, disconnect the drag link and, with the jeep running, turn the wheel lock-to-lock. If you still feel the erratic operation then my guess would be the power steering unit.
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How many new u-joints were installed ?

Poor workmanship while installing u-joints can damage the u-joint. Typically jerkey steering when turning sharply at lower speeds is a bad u-joint in the front axle shaft.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
cofferson
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renix View Post
Also do you have to turn it back to center or will it go back to center on its own with a little assistance. Last think is the jeep lifted? Mods? Does it only happen while moving?
It will still pull back to center on its own, i do not have to assist it. The jeep has no mods what so ever but aftermarket replacement wheels the previous owner put on (same size). And yes it only happens when moving, but like I said, it is only when i begin to pull back to the straight position.
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
cofferson
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
How many new u-joints were installed ?

Poor workmanship while installing u-joints can damage the u-joint. Typically jerkey steering when turning sharply at lower speeds is a bad u-joint in the front axle shaft.
The only thing that makes me think it is not the u-joint is that the jerking that was happening before the new u-joint was installed happened while going into turns, braking, and holding the turns, it was much more violent then this and made a bad noise. This is silent and only happens when i turn the wheel back to center after a turn. If it you turn out to be right however, I am going to be one mad customer...
Unread 04-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
cofferson
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Update*

I got under and everything moved fine, the only issues I have are the two pictures I am attaching, one is the U-joint on the side they fixed, and one is directly under the steering box. I have a feeling the leaking from the axle isn't normal as it doesn't on the other side, but I am not sure if this is normal for the box.
20140419_152052.jpg   20140419_152453.jpg  
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did the shop replace only one u-joint, or both ?

Poor workmanship when replacing u-joints can damage the differential seal, leading to gear oil leaks from the end of the axle tube. Is the leaking fluid really stinky ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
cofferson
2001 XJ Cherokee 

They only did the U-joint. and it is definitely leaking from the axle, it does smell. And when I went in the shop I asked them if they used a 3 jaw puller to get the hub off and they said no, which was good because of the very reason you stated, I didn't want them to wreck the seal on the differential. But you may very well be right.

Tags
handling , jerking , steer , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.