Completely forgot about this for a few years lol.
Ill update a few posts at a time..
Winter 2010, I finished up the bumper.
First, I tacked it all together for mockup:
Next on the list was to cap the end of the bumpers. I previously cut out some circle with a 1.5" hole saw. Despite the hole in the middle of then, I fully welded them onto the end, and filled the drill hole.
Finished up the other side, and then went back and attacked it with the grinder/flap disk.
I wanted the transition from the hoop/stinger to the side support bars to be as clean as possible. To do this, I simply welded it up, and ground it smooth with the flap disk.
All welded up, before paint:
The next day, I took it outside and painted it up with some cheap-o wally world paint.
Then I drilled some 3/4" holes, and threw on some D-rings. I will go back some other time and weld a plate or two sandwiching the holes for more support (1/2" thick instead of 1/4" thick).
Heres some overall shots: