Jeep450r's 1996 Sport Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep450r's 1996 Sport Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep450r's 1996 Sport Build Thread

So I got this 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport for $2000 w/112,000 miles. It is in immaculate condition. Paint is (was) perfect, and interior is almost spotless. It has a 8.25, D30, AX-15, NP231, 4.0 I6. Has a slight miss at idle but runs strong. This XJ is my first car and will be my daily driver and weekend wheeler, so its gotta look cool for them chicks at school and still be capable offroad haha. Capability has priority of course lol.

Wheeled it stock for a little bit: This pic is on slick rock in northern california.

Bought a Rough Country 4.5" full leaf kit, and riced it up with some red walmart paint.

Stock leafs next to RC pack w/shackle... Notice how much shorter it is... Had one hell of a time getting that in.

Because they weren't in a box when shipped, the leafs got pretty beat up... It pushed the bushing out half way... Almost installed it that way because I thought it was designed that way.

Rear done. Drove it around town like this and got some weird looks. Had major vibes.

Started on the front.

Springs were a PITA to get in. You will NEED a spring/strut compressor (instructions simply said "install front springs" didn't mention a spring compressor).

Stock springs next to new 4.5" springs.

Completed:

Got the T-case drop in--- NO VIBES!

Also removed the rear swaybar.

Plans:
Rustys diff guards---DONE (RCX)
Homemade rock sliders---DONE
31's or 32's at first---DONE
Black steel rims---DONE
Aussie up front
Ford 8.8 w/disks/4.10s/LSD
4.10s up front
Homemade bumpers
CB---DONE
SYE
Appalachian armor T-case skid---DONE (WARN)
Eventually some home made long arms
Interior cage
Thrush Welded cat-back

More in next post-------

Jeep450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

We also made some rock sliders, installed a Warn T-case skid, RC Front diff skid, changed all the fluids, and threw on some 31's on Black steelies.

Finished her up and took her wheelin:

(^dad driving)

(yes... were noobs haha)

In the near future I am hoping for home made long arms, home made unibody stiffeners, tinted windows, tie rod flip, longer rear main leaf for a better shackle angle, and a front bumper.

All comments/input whatsoever will be greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post
So I got this 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport for $2000 w/112,000 miles. It is in immaculate condition. Paint is (was) perfect, and interior is almost spotless. It has a 8.25, D30, AX-15, NP231, 4.0 I6. Has a slight miss at idle but runs strong. This XJ is my first car and will be my daily driver and weekend wheeler, so its gotta look cool for them chicks at school and still be capable offroad haha. Capability has priority of course lol.

Wheeled it stock for a little bit: This pic is on slick rock in northern california.

Bought a Rough Country 4.5" full leaf kit, and riced it up with some red walmart paint.

Stock leafs next to RC pack w/shackle... Notice how much shorter it is... Had one hell of a time getting that in.

Because they weren't in a box when shipped, the leafs got pretty beat up... It pushed the bushing out half way... Almost installed it that way because I thought it was designed that way.

Rear done. Drove it around town like this and got some weird looks. Had major vibes.

Started on the front.

Springs were a PITA to get in. You will NEED a spring/strut compressor (instructions simply said "install front springs" didn't mention a spring compressor).

Stock springs next to new 4.5" springs.

Completed:

Got the T-case drop in--- NO VIBES!

Also removed the rear swaybar.

Plans:
Rustys diff guards---DONE (RCX)
Homemade rock sliders---DONE
31's or 32's at first---DONE
Black steel rims---DONE
Aussie up front
Ford 8.8 w/disks/4.10s/LSD
4.10s up front
Homemade bumpers
CB---DONE
SYE
Appalachian armor T-case skid---DONE (WARN)
Eventually some home made long arms
Interior cage
Thrush Welded cat-back

More in next post-------
nice plans..thing is coming along great
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^ thanks for the click free
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

yea no problem. I like all the red accents to that pinstripe. Its suttle but is a nice touch.
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I've seen people paint their leafs and coils red too... along with everything else that I did. but i think thats just a little too much red. Thanks for the comment.

I've been brainstorming about the interior roll cage... I am 6'5" (still growing) and will most likely encounter head room issues with an interior cage (I hit my head on the E.O.R. weld in cage)... Does anybody have any ideas on how I could manage to keep my head room with a cage? I don't want to go exo, and I don't want to hack up the body at all either.
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow I almost forgot about this thread.
Lets bring it back up to speed

Made the doors removable

Bike mirror

Put some Polk DB650 Speakers in, threw on a Thrush Welded (Flowmaster 40 knock off) muffler, and tossed on a Bad apple rear diff cover. (no pics of it installed for some reason)

I also pulled the shafts - 27 splines inch:

Ordered a few parts:

HDOffroad Shackle Relocation Brackets

Rough Country 1.5"-2" Adjustable Shackles

And lastly (my favorite)

Haven't done much else to it really... just been wheeling the piss out of it recently.
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Now for some pics... Lots of 'em

Yes I'm stuck

The setup

Now back to the build:

The other day I picked up some plates to make bumper mounts/brackets out of. 1/4 steel. Beef.

I also put in an order for 2 sticks of 1.5" .120 wall DOM for my front and rear bumpers. It should arrive here today.

Should finish mounting the bender this weekend (finally).

Soon to be done list (in order):
-Install new gasket in rear diff
-Mount Bender
-Build Front Bumper
-Build Rear Bumper

List Continued (out of order)
-Buy 33's
-Rocker replacement sliders (to tie cage into)
-Build Cage
-Regear
-ZJ Tie Rod

Thats all for now!
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Man, our jeeps could be twins!
Same paint, same lift, and I think I've even had that sofa

That's some nice country in those pics...where were you wheeling?

Steve
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha
Those pics were taken on the Deer Valley and Slick Rock trails in Northern California
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't gotten very much done... Fixed my rear diff leak (hopefully for good this time), detailed it, and welded on a turn down.

It is amazing how much quieter it is with the turn down.. I can actually talk to my passengers without yelling at them. Its nice.

I tried mounting my tube bender the other day but failed. The bit goes through the main layer of cement and then hits something and stops. Could be rebar I keep hitting or a (big) rock or something. Im trying again tomorrow. As soon as it gets mounted, I will start on my bumper!

Does anybody have any favorite tube bumpers or anything? I have an idea in my head, but others are always welcome.
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got the rest of the pictures from my trip. Some pics are from wheeling, some are more of a photoshoot type thing (aka me fooling around with my friends camera).
Enjoy!

Mt. Reeba Ridge

Slick Rock

More in next Post....
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Aaaaannnnndddd MOAR!

Random Pics:

Mosquito Lake

Osbourne Ridge
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
JEEPSFORUS
1997 XJ Cherokee 

damn nice looking land. jeep looks sweet too. you dont have lockers yet do you. i seen a winch in one of the pis. why isnt it on. i built my front bumper with tubes. i will try to find a pic of it.
JEEPSFORUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post

tail pipe isnt connected.....

nice jeep BTW

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.