Jeep XJ weird startup issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep XJ weird startup issue

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
jmp4x4
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep XJ weird startup issue

Hi to all, im new at this and donīt know much about mechanics, so I think some of you guys can help me with this strange startup issue.
My XJ 93 cranks and it tries to start, but goes off, after the second try it stays on for a few seconds at no more de 500RPM and then goes off, at the third try it goes on for about 20 seconds at less than 500rpm and goes off again, but at the fourth try it goes for about 30 segonds at about 500rpm and then it revs up to about 2000rpm, and then back to a stable 900-1000 rpm for the rest of the day it works fine only at the first try, but when I leave it overnight I always get this problem.
My mechanic has already change the oil pump, fuel regulator, battery, and still donīt know what the problem might be.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, having this problem since I rebuilded my engine, everything else works like a charm after 5 step painfull morning startup.

jmp4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Find out what your mechanic tested and the reason to replace all those parts. Seems like he is just randomly throwing parts into it. Is the check engine light on? Find out if he checked fuel pressure as well as spark.
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

IAC Motor possibly. Does it stay running if you put your foot on the throttle?
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
jmp4x4
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
Find out what your mechanic tested and the reason to replace all those parts. Seems like he is just randomly throwing parts into it. Is the check engine light on? Find out if he checked fuel pressure as well as spark.
Thanks for the reply, It also seemed to me that we was just throwing parts, now I already paid for all the parts and the problem still there, He said he checked pressure, and it was ok, he changed the oil pump because it was very very old (true) was at least 50K.
Everything else works fine, after it starts in the morning I can re start the car many times it works perfectly, only after I leave the car overnight I get the problem in the mornings, I live in a dry enviorement all year round between 60F-70F.
As I said before this problem started after I rebuilded my engine, but once the car is on everything works perfectly, and I donīt get engine lights.
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
jmp4x4
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMech View Post
IAC Motor possibly. Does it stay running if you put your foot on the throttle?
Hi thanks for your reply, Yes once the car starts after the fifth sometimes fourth attemp it stays on with no problems, runs perfectly no bad symptoms at all, the only problem is the morning starting issue but Iīm afraid this Issue might lead to some other problems. I never press the gas pedal on this initial cranks I always let the injection to work around by itself after several seconds under 500REV you feel the Vroommm to about 2000Rev and back to a steady 900-1000Rev.
Someone told me that the fuel check valve might be leaking fuel back to the tank and thatīs why the car takes three or four cranks to start, I told my mechanic and he said heīd never heard of that before, I live in Colombia South America, and there arenīt many Jeep Shops, my mechanic is one of the biggest and renowend shops in Bogota.
Being having this issue for about 8 months I donīt use the car much, but when I do I always get frustrated on those first cranks after that everything works fine, mechanical and electrical.
I will make a video to show the morning symptons, since my english is not that well, and my knowledge of mechanics is pretty basic.

Tags
crank , fuel pump , regulator , starting issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.