jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Reply
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #31
hayden93
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: broomfield, co
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
??Why do you think your top speed would be so low??
If you are running the 32" tires from your profile, 4.56 gears MIGHT have put you around or under 2500 RPMs at 65MPH in OD.
I went to 4.56 for my 33" tires. At 65MPH in OD the engine turns at 2250 RPM.
I kinda wish I went to 4.88...
what! i actually have 31" tires now, but still it shouldn't make that much of a difference, the guy that installed them looked at me like i was crazy when i told him i wanted 4.56, he said that i would be lucky to hit 65-70mph and thats at 4000rpm... he said 4.10 gears would put me closest to stock! i got a really good deal on the gears and install tho, i was very happy with the outcome tho, it doesnt shift back and forth when im at high speeds on the highway any more.. it feels like it has more torque.

__________________
daily driver, if I roll it, im SCREWED!
hayden93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #32
sAe23
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles / SFV, California
Posts: 2,438
4.10's with 31" tires IS close to "stock" (3.55 with 27" tires), but to hit 4000 RPMs with 31" tires you'd need 5.71 gears
The important thing is that you're happy with the results
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #33
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon
 
98muddyjeep's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hatboro PA
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
4.10's with 31" tires IS close to "stock" (3.55 with 27" tires), but to hit 4000 RPMs with 31" tires you'd need 5.71 gears
The important thing is that you're happy with the results
I have 4.10's with 33's and I run 75 mph at about 2300 rpm's and my Speedo is only off by 3 mph.
__________________
ah,beer the cause of and cure to all of lifes problems ...Homer J Simpson... I am the guy in the red jeep!
98muddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #34
chriskeenan
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton, Oregon
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden93 View Post
would this work...? seems like it does what i need correct? http://www.aemelectronics.com/inline...ontroller-1159
Thats just a wide band O2 sensor and its controller, its used to set up and tune the engine, typically once the tuning is done a standard narrow band O2 sensor are used to run the engine. You still have to tune the engine, a wideband is very helpful with that.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #35
hayden93
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: broomfield, co
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Thats just a wide band O2 sensor and its controller, its used to set up and tune the engine, typically once the tuning is done a standard narrow band O2 sensor are used to run the engine. You still have to tune the engine, a wideband is very helpful with that.
ok that makes sense, i think im going to have to sit on the turbo kit a little longer, ill be honest i cant afford anything that expensive right now... once i have all the the parts ill start putting it all together, until then ill keep looking around for something a little more affordable, thanks for all you help guys
__________________
daily driver, if I roll it, im SCREWED!
hayden93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #36
chriskeenan
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton, Oregon
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden93 View Post

ok that makes sense, i think im going to have to sit on the turbo kit a little longer, ill be honest i cant afford anything that expensive right now... once i have all the the parts ill start putting it all together, until then ill keep looking around for something a little more affordable, thanks for all you help guys
Look in to megasquirt. It looks intimidating and cobbled together but it the cheapest option for FI and it's actually pretty well supported. and there is also an auto transmission controller module so you could program the entire drive train with it. You could even run MS parallel with the stock ECU to get the stock jeep gauge cluster to work. MS would handle all the engine stuff and the stock computer just running the gauges.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
hayden93
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: broomfield, co
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Look in to megasquirt. It looks intimidating and cobbled together but it the cheapest option for FI and it's actually pretty well supported. and there is also an auto transmission controller module so you could program the entire drive train with it. You could even run MS parallel with the stock ECU to get the stock jeep gauge cluster to work. MS would handle all the engine stuff and the stock computer just running the gauges.
after doing a little research i stumbled upon this thread, dude turboed his yj for like $500, this is what he said abut fuel: My turbo is sized really good for the motor, I would say that at normal crusing speed there is no lag at all, and yes it is a home made kit. I was going to intercool it but after thinking about it I opted not to because an intercooler will just take up space and moving a 2 mph on the trail, the IC will not do a thing. Instead I will be running a water/meth injection setup. That way everytime i hit enough boost i will be a nice cool dense air charge. Im running 7psi now, the water/meth will come on a 4psi. no chips or computer mods. just used a 12:1 FMU and a booster pump. jeep pulls really hard actaully and is really nice to drive. Im located in central CT, Newington to be exact. i'll get the numbers up as soon as i get to the dyno


i found the fmu online at a great price... now i just have to find the right booster pump, whats your thoughts on this rout? thanks
__________________
daily driver, if I roll it, im SCREWED!
hayden93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
cheap , turbo

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.