jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't forget the BOV!!!

Vrooooom Psshhhh

cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could always try this!

Funny, but at the same time give a clue as to how homebrew turbos are not easy to do.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine
Nothing to it... some radiator hose, some duct tape, make an intake outta PVC, coupla hose clamps... you're all set.
I see you've seen the sloppy mechanics YouTube page
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Tuning can be a problem and expensive with the stroker.

Stay with the 4.0L and supercharge it.
I have 2 XJs with 4.0 150k+miles and both are supercharged.
Can be done for about $2k. Done in 1 day. Adds +60rwhp and +80rwtq. Smog/OBD2 legal. Click on my sig. There is a lot of info there including dyno results of many different combinations.
I'm on my phone and am having a hard time locating where you got that kit from.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Stay away from Ebay turbo kits. They are always cheaply made. If youre lucky enough for everything to fit, you have to worry about the turbo charger failing, which will happen. As well as the tubing cracking due to thin and cheap metal.

Also, if your goal consists of "4psi", then youre not ready to do a turbo setup. Research is key. 4psi means absolutely nothing. You need to have a HP goal as well as a budget you want to stay in. 4psi on a TD04 turbo off of something like a Volvo or saab compared to 4psi on something like a GT35r turbo can be a difference of 100hp at the same level of boost. Intake and exhaust design as well as intercooler, fuel system, tuning software, ect. all play a huge factor in HP as well. Engine longevity depends mainly on the tune as well as HP limits without building the internals, unless ofcourse you plan on building the engine to handle the extra strain forced induction adds. I don't know what a stock jeep motor can handle power wise, I more mess with Imports on that level, but with all the issues the 4.0's have with piston skirts, I doubt its very much more than what's stock to it.

If you want more power, stroker 4.0 or a swap is your best option. And if you really want forced induction, ive seen people swap in diesel motors into XJ chassis, not sure what motor specifically, but a google search will probably answer that.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The jeep 4.0L is built like a tank. I have 2 which are supercharged.
The one with the M62 has 160K and all stock and runs 6 pounds boost with no problems.
The one with the Sprintex has 180k+ and runs 9-10, 11 on occasion, pounds boost now. The limit of the stock 4.0L seems to be about 12.5 pounds, that is where my head gasket popped, nothing else broke. I have heard 13-14 pounds is the limit of the cast pistons.
A 'built' 4.0L with stock crank, stock rods with arp bolts, forged pistons, arp head studs, MLS head gasket, mild cam and big valve ported head is good to 20-22 pounds boost.
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The one with the M62 has 160K and all stock and runs 6 pounds boost with no problems.
The one with the Sprintex has 180k+ and runs 9-10, 11 on occasion, pounds boost now. The limit of the stock 4.0L seems to be about 12.5 pounds, that is where my head gasket popped, nothing else broke. I have heard 13-14 pounds is the limit of the cast pistons.
A 'built' 4.0L with stock crank, stock rods with arp bolts, forged pistons, arp head studs, MLS head gasket, mild cam and big valve ported head is good to 20-22 pounds boost.
Sorry about hi-jacking but I have a question about super charging...
Did you need to add a chip to modify the ECU (or any other part)?
A friend of mine has a 97 TJ 4.0L that he supercharged. I don't remember the mfgr, but he was told it wouldn't need any other mods (but he may have replaced the injectors). Since the install, he gets pinging when accelerating hard. Recently, a third party has suggested that it needs a $600 chip to make it work.
Any thought?
Thanks
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #23
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes he does need to do something about the extra fuel required and boost timing retard.
Chips aren't available. Only 2 guys can reprogram the ecu in the country. they can so stock, mild modified and stroker. It would take them some time and effort to do forced induction.
If he is getting pinging on heavy acceleration with no extra fuel or boost timing retard, he must not be running much boost and I am sure has lack luster performance.
Not knowing anything else, Your friend will need larger injectors and either a AEM FIC or a Split Second box to control the bigger injectors and boost timing retard.
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden93 View Post
lol i already have a cold air intake on it , and that didn't seem to make much difference either.
Im betting the cone filter didnt have a pre-filter on it either. I would test your oil with a Blackstone Labs kit... see how much crap is now getting in your intake.

Use numbers and engineering, not whats cool
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #25
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ok guys so its been a while since I posted, since last time I have upgraded the gears front and rear to 4.10 gears, almost did 4.56 but my top speed would po f been like 55mph.. Any way since then I have also purchaced a turbo kit off craigslist that was off a wrangler... I paid $1000 for the kit, it came with manifold, wastegate, oil filter relocater and some other goodies, after doing alot of reserch I plan on pushing 8 psi. I have literally every thing now, intercooler, bov, wastegate, I upgraded to the 703 injectors... I pretty much have every thing ready to go, the only thing im missing is a computer or something, im not sure what it is adsactly I need, if you guys could point me in the right direction please, shes a 93 xj 4.0L... A link would be great too.. Thanks!
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #26
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hi can you tell me if you did any thing to the fuel system or is it all still stock? Any computer upgrades? Thanks
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #27
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ok guys so its been a while since I posted, since last time I have upgraded the gears front and rear to 4.10 gears, almost did 4.56 but my top speed would po f been like 55mph.. Any way since then I have also purchaced a turbo kit off craigslist that was off a wrangler... I paid $1000 for the kit, it came with manifold, wastegate, oil filter relocater and some other goodies, after doing alot of reserch I plan on pushing 8 psi. I have literally every thing now, intercooler, bov, wastegate, I upgraded to the 703 injectors... I pretty much have every thing ready to go, the only thing im missing is a computer or something, im not sure what it is adsactly I need, if you guys could point me in the right direction please, shes a 93 xj 4.0L... A link would be great too.. Thanks!
AEM and probably several others make fully programmable stand alone ECUs.

AEM Unit

And then there is also megasquirt if you'd like a much cheaper, much more home brewed, and frustrating setup.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #28
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
AEM and probably several others make fully programmable stand alone ECUs.

AEM Unit

And then there is also megasquirt if you'd like a much cheaper, much more home brewed, and frustrating setup.

wow those aem ones look like the real deal, and it shows in the price...as for the mega squirt i took one look at there website and backed out... ill take a look at that when ive got time to sit down and spend an hour navigating through half a$$ websites lol i have about $2000 into the turbo build so far.. thats a little more than i anticipated on spending in the first place... theirs no backing out now im "pot committed" ill keep looking around if anyone else has any more suggestions or links, or even if i need one..
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #29
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

would this work...? seems like it does what i need correct? http://www.aemelectronics.com/inline...ontroller-1159
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #30
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ok guys so its been a while since I posted, since last time I have upgraded the gears front and rear to 4.10 gears, almost did 4.56 but my top speed would po f been like 55mph.. [snip]
??Why do you think your top speed would be so low??
If you are running the 32" tires from your profile, 4.56 gears MIGHT have put you around or under 2500 RPMs at 65MPH in OD.
I went to 4.56 for my 33" tires. At 65MPH in OD the engine turns at 2250 RPM.
I kinda wish I went to 4.88...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cheap , turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.