jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true?

been looking for a turbo charger for my 93 xj for a while. was browsing on ebay today and found this, what parts am I also going to have to buy and do you think this will work?
the seller has awesome feedback but like I said, it just seems to good to be true!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-Turboc...1cd2ed&vxp=mtr

hayden93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to Cherokee Tech Forum.

The forum you posted in (JeepForum Announcements & Comments) is for questions about and help with the forum.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Moved to Cherokee Tech Forum.

The forum you posted in (JeepForum Announcements & Comments) is for questions about and help with the forum.
ooops sorry , im new to this forum thing, thanks for stearing me in the right direction!
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That is just a basic universal kit that the seller then spams across eBay tagged that it "fits" all these different vehicles. There will still be significant fabrication required to install it and then the required electronics to handle boost.
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=LimeLJ;15911441]That is just a basic universal kit that the seller then spams across eBay tagged that it "fits" all these different vehicles. There will still be significant fabrication required to install it and then the required electronics to handle boost.[/QUOTE

too good to be true... I KNEW IT!
thanks for your input.
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

does anyone know what i would need to make this a complete and fully working/ installable kit?
im only trying to get about 4psi, just to get me up those highways on my way to trails.
thanks
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden93 View Post
does anyone know what i would need to make this a complete and fully working/ installable kit?
im only trying to get about 4psi, just to get me up those highways on my way to trails.
thanks
Why do you feel the need to turbo the engine? if youre having power issues with larger tires then change the gearing. If you have the correct gears and just want more power, why not stroke it or swap in a V8.

But to answer your question; a lot. You'll still need the exhaust manifold fabricated = $$$. You'll need an intercooler, and to make the IC fit somewhere. The whole intake and IC piping needs to be fabricated as well. on top of that the stock ecu wont work, so now youre looking at a stand alone unit, which is $$$, or screwing around modifying sensor inputs to make the stock one work, which if you do wrong can destroy the engine.

Id also bet the included turbo is junk, i doubt its a real garrett unit, and for that price if it is real its worn out.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Why do you feel the need to turbo the engine? if youre having power issues with larger tires then change the gearing. If you have the correct gears and just want more power, why not stroke it or swap in a V8.

But to answer your question; a lot.
ive been doing a little research myself in the last hour... maybe ill just change the gears lol
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing to it... some radiator hose, some duct tape, make an intake outta PVC, coupla hose clamps... you're all set.
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
hayden93
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Nothing to it... some radiator hose, some duct tape, make an intake outta PVC, coupla hose clamps... you're all set.
lol i already have a cold air intake on it , and that didn't seem to make much difference either.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You could throw a supercharger on it. Only a few grand
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Smart-assed commments from others aside, there is no "free lunch" with a turbocharger. You will generate more heat, more load on the crank bearings, and thus shorten the life of your engine.

For the money that a proper turbo costs, and MUCH better solution is a stroker engine. It's more durable, and less complicated.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

From someone who spent a lot money building a stroker, the only sane way to add power to any 6 cylinder powered vehicle is to swap in a V8. If you do anything to an engine in an XJ to significantly increase horse power you will need an aluminum radiator to cool it. The factory cooling system is barely adequate for the stock engine. My stroker runs fine but I'm sure a regular V8 would be better if you could make one fit in an XJ.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here ya go....

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tuning can be a problem and expensive with the stroker.

Stay with the 4.0L and supercharge it.
I have 2 XJs with 4.0 150k+miles and both are supercharged.
Can be done for about $2k. Done in 1 day. Adds +60rwhp and +80rwtq. Smog/OBD2 legal. Click on my sig. There is a lot of info there including dyno results of many different combinations.
1998 XJ 2D auto 4.0 160k Red Grey+Blk Si seats 32" MTR 4.5" RC Lift- full leaf Adj U+L Arm RE track bar JKS Disco SYE F+R Hitch SOLID Covers JCR Slider+Skid Plate Magnaflow TruckLites, 150rwHP/174rwTQ=>Sprintex S/C 6 lbs BOOST 7th Injector NO CEL'S 211rwhp/274rwtq 100-140* IAT's==>Now 12 lb BOOST! JeepM62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.