JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/jeep-xj-turbo-charger-good-true-1575657/)

hayden93 09-11-2013 02:14 PM

jeep xj turbo charger, to good to be true?

been looking for a turbo charger for my 93 xj for a while. was browsing on ebay today and found this, what parts am I also going to have to buy and do you think this will work?
the seller has awesome feedback but like I said, it just seems to good to be true!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-Turboc...1cd2ed&vxp=mtr

Wheelin98TJ 09-11-2013 02:20 PM

Moved to Cherokee Tech Forum.

The forum you posted in (JeepForum Announcements & Comments) is for questions about and help with the forum.

hayden93 09-11-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ (Post 15910137)
Moved to Cherokee Tech Forum.

The forum you posted in (JeepForum Announcements & Comments) is for questions about and help with the forum.

ooops sorry , im new to this forum thing, thanks for stearing me in the right direction!:highfive:

LimeLJ 09-11-2013 02:57 PM

That is just a basic universal kit that the seller then spams across eBay tagged that it "fits" all these different vehicles. There will still be significant fabrication required to install it and then the required electronics to handle boost.

hayden93 09-11-2013 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=LimeLJ;15911441]That is just a basic universal kit that the seller then spams across eBay tagged that it "fits" all these different vehicles. There will still be significant fabrication required to install it and then the required electronics to handle boost.[/QUOTE

too good to be true... I KNEW IT!
thanks for your input.

hayden93 09-11-2013 03:13 PM

does anyone know what i would need to make this a complete and fully working/ installable kit?
im only trying to get about 4psi, just to get me up those highways on my way to trails.
thanks

chriskeenan 09-11-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayden93 (Post 15911977)
does anyone know what i would need to make this a complete and fully working/ installable kit?
im only trying to get about 4psi, just to get me up those highways on my way to trails.
thanks

Why do you feel the need to turbo the engine? if youre having power issues with larger tires then change the gearing. If you have the correct gears and just want more power, why not stroke it or swap in a V8.

But to answer your question; a lot. You'll still need the exhaust manifold fabricated = $$$. You'll need an intercooler, and to make the IC fit somewhere. The whole intake and IC piping needs to be fabricated as well. on top of that the stock ecu wont work, so now youre looking at a stand alone unit, which is $$$, or screwing around modifying sensor inputs to make the stock one work, which if you do wrong can destroy the engine.

Id also bet the included turbo is junk, i doubt its a real garrett unit, and for that price if it is real its worn out.

hayden93 09-11-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskeenan (Post 15912985)
Why do you feel the need to turbo the engine? if youre having power issues with larger tires then change the gearing. If you have the correct gears and just want more power, why not stroke it or swap in a V8.

But to answer your question; a lot.

ive been doing a little research myself in the last hour... maybe ill just change the gears lol

wgirvine 09-11-2013 03:56 PM

Nothing to it... some radiator hose, some duct tape, make an intake outta PVC, coupla hose clamps... you're all set. :thumbsup:

hayden93 09-11-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgirvine (Post 15913273)
Nothing to it... some radiator hose, some duct tape, make an intake outta PVC, coupla hose clamps... you're all set. :thumbsup:

lol i already have a cold air intake on it , and that didn't seem to make much difference either.

sAe23 09-11-2013 07:10 PM

You could throw a supercharger on it. Only a few grand :rolleyes:

AZ Jeff 09-11-2013 08:48 PM

Smart-assed commments from others aside, there is no "free lunch" with a turbocharger. You will generate more heat, more load on the crank bearings, and thus shorten the life of your engine.

For the money that a proper turbo costs, and MUCH better solution is a stroker engine. It's more durable, and less complicated.

foggybottombob 09-12-2013 11:08 AM

From someone who spent a lot money building a stroker, the only sane way to add power to any 6 cylinder powered vehicle is to swap in a V8. If you do anything to an engine in an XJ to significantly increase horse power you will need an aluminum radiator to cool it. The factory cooling system is barely adequate for the stock engine. My stroker runs fine but I'm sure a regular V8 would be better if you could make one fit in an XJ.

CCKen 09-12-2013 11:49 AM

Here ya go....

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm

CobraMarty 11-23-2013 08:24 AM

Tuning can be a problem and expensive with the stroker.

Stay with the 4.0L and supercharge it.
I have 2 XJs with 4.0 150k+miles and both are supercharged.
Can be done for about $2k. Done in 1 day. Adds +60rwhp and +80rwtq. Smog/OBD2 legal. Click on my sig. There is a lot of info there including dyno results of many different combinations.

The time now is 08:16 PM.