Jeep XJ manual transmission Guru's I need your help, Clutch pedal is froZen - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep XJ manual transmission Guru's I need your help, Clutch pedal is froZen

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
99cherokee

Jeep XJ manual transmission Guru's I need your help, Clutch pedal is froZen

So I was driving my
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I6 5 speed manual, 4wd

this morning and out of no where I went to shift and the clutch pedal was completely frozen, it would not depress at all.

I parked it in a parking lot and left it for a few hours and just went back to see if anything changed. Nothing!

The clutch pedal is completely stuck in the up position.

Any ideas of whats going on?
I was thinking clutch master but I am not sure, or sure of how to check it.

So any ideas would be helpful, thanks in advance

Unread 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
99cherokee

bump anyone have any ideas?
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Start by trying to bleed the clutch MC
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
HeyUvaVT

the rod that goes from the slave cylinder into the clutch could have somehow worked loose...on the drivers side of the trans you will see a cylinder that is about the size of a big magic marker with a cable coming out of it...it is held in by two bolts...thats the slave cylinder and there is a rod that comes out of the end of that and depresses the clutch disc..had that problem with my 95...start by checking simple stuff like the fluids and everything...if that doesnt do it..remove the bolts and CAREFULLY pull the slave cylinder out...you do NOT want the rod and rubber boot to end up in the trans so make sure you are carful pulling it out...with it out carefully try pushing the rod into the cylinder and also have some one slowly depress the clutch pedal..if the rod moves in and out smoothly then it somehow got out of alignment...slip it back into the trans gently and feel for it to kind of "thwump" into place..tighten the bolts and try the pedal..if it doesnt fix it its a more serious issue...maybe flexplate

ps..if you cant move the rod at all either way then get a new slave cylinder
HeyUvaVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
XJH-007

X2, sounds like a master to pedal linkage issue or slave to fork rod problem. Get under the dash and look to see if the rod is caught on something or bound up.

It could also be a stuck throwout bearing/arm...but I wouls thing that would allow the pedal to move a little.....
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.