Jeep XJ Generator Charging Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep XJ Generator Charging Question

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
SteveSpahr2345
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep XJ Generator Charging Question

Okay on my 96 XJ my new remanufactured alternator works fine in the heat (during the day). Proper Voltage and some what of a bearing squeak. But at night battery voltage is low. the alternator squeals loud at startup and when i get close to 2000 RPMs. Also once in a while the Gen light flashes on and off with electrical noises from the PCM and the relay box and a temporary no start.

Any suggestions what to do would be great because i'm looking to swap a mean Green alternator in the XJ and call it lol

SteveSpahr2345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
SteveSpahr2345
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Depending on where the squeak is from, either the fan belt is too loose, or your rebuilt alternator is defective.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
SteveSpahr2345
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I took the belt off and turned my pulleys the alternator makes a sqeak like a mouse! Time to buy a mean green or powermaster and call it lol
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Why pay for a mean green when its no different than a new stock alt?

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
SteveSpahr2345
1994 YJ Wrangler 

They charge much better plus the bearing more robust. They can handle high heat and pressure. Plus they damage wallet pretty good
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

OK.....I'll stick with OEM. They lasted 15 years, and work just fine.

Quote:
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Why pay for a mean green when its no different than a new stock alt?
Usually mean green alt put out way more amps the stock 96 amp alt,or go its a grand Cherokee alt they put out somewhere around 130 amps.
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No they won't, the only way to get more amps from an alternator is to increase the size of the windings and rectifier. Which on modern alternators is impossible considering there is no unused space inside the casing.

"mean green" and similar companies sell a high quality OE replacement alternator that is marketed with its peak amperage rating instead of the more realistic continuous amperage rating most are rated at.

I recommend upgrading the alt to a 130mm 136amp from a caravan (modification to the bracket is required to get the larger case to fit)

Sent from my phone

Quote:
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
No they won't, the only way to get more amps from an alternator is to increase the size of the windings and rectifier. Which on modern alternators is impossible considering there is no unused space inside the casing.

"mean green" and similar companies sell a high quality OE replacement alternator that is marketed with its peak amperage rating instead of the more realistic continuous amperage rating most are rated at.

I recommend upgrading the alt to a 130mm 136amp from a caravan (modification to the bracket is required to get the larger case to fit)

Sent from my phone
Finally, someone who know what they are talking about. The higher output is meaningless, unless you have a large load like a winch. The output is determined by the regulator, period end of story. Add up everything in your vehicle Headlights, AC on max stereo at window cracking volume, I doubt you will reach 80 Amps. The regulator will see this and adjust the output accordingly. Of course the alternator must be turning at rated RPM (about 1500 RPM's). Depending on the pulley's, 1500 Alternator RPM may or may not be 1500 Engine RPM. The only noticeable difference you probably won't notice would be a shorter re-charge time after starting.
OEM or equivalent is fine.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.