Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep xj front shaft into rear is to short for my lift

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Jvorrius107 
#1 ·
So I bought a front shaft from a 98 Cherokee. I have new 2 inch lift rough country shackles with used rough country 3 inch leaf springs. I also have a Rubicon express flange style SYE installed. I installed my shaft and it is fully extended with maybe half an inch of slip in the shaft. I have 2 degree shims on order to push the pinion up. If I dropped the T-case 1 inch could it add little more slip in the shaft? I don't have the funds to spend $200 to get it lengthened unfortunately. How much slip do I need in my driveshaft to play it safe? Thanks, James

#4 ·
The front drive shaft you're using, is it from a manual? Manuals are shorter. People with 4.5" lifts have no problem with auto front shafts, so that's the only thing I can think of.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
That's what I am thinking also. It measures 35 inches in length with the adapter that makes the shafts bolt up to the flange style sye.

#3 ·
A T-case drop is not needed and will give you very little extra slip yoke travel. The slip yoke should be near the center of its available travel, and it will move about 3/4 - 1 inch in/out. See the driveshaft info at the link ( http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF ), some XJ and some ZJ drive shafts are longer. Some people say that you can also use a Ford Explorer driveshaft with an SYE.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help! The part number on the shaft is 53005542. I added the 2 degree shims and still no good. It is and auto shaft. There is less than a 1/4 inch of slip on the shaft. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and find a driveshaft shop in new jersey to lengthen it an inch or maybe an inch and a half. I just don't want to buy another shaft and go through the same problems I am having now. If anybody knows of a driveshaft shop in northern new jersey let me know. Thanks, James

#9 ·
If it's really going to cost $200 to lengthen your existing DS (and I'm not at all shocked at that cost), you might as well consider a brand new made to order shaft.
There are several on Ebay at around $230.

And be sure to remove that (probably) unneeded shim ;)

#13 ·
Yes, to install the Rubicon express sye kit I had to cut the output shaft. I'm very confused with this driveshaft. I know I cut the shaft right. I'd know if I did it wrong. I'm trying to think why 90% of the members on here are able to use this driveshaft with out modifictions to it and I cant with almost 4-5 inches of lift. The shaft fits perfectly in the Jeep but there is very little room for slip. I have less than a 1/4 inch untill I see the splines. I guess all jeep are different. I appreciate the replies!!! Thanks, James

#14 ·
I've been searching up cheaper alternatives. What I came up with is that they do make driveshaft spacers for different vehicles. I am using a moog 627 adapter that bolts directly up to the Rubicon express flange SYE. I did some measuring. It has a 3.5 inch bolt circle diameter. Does anybody make and sell a spacer that I can use to get by?

#15 ·
Here is some more pictures if needed. The grease around the shaft is from me moving the shaft around. The jeep is sitting on level ground.

Attachments

#16 ·
Just for future reference if anybody has the same problem as me. I orderd a driveshaft spacer from 4crawler.com. They over a wide variety of spacers even blank spacers. The only problem I had was that I had to cut the center of the spacer out with a 2 inch hole saw to perfectly mate up with the flange. The spacer that I bought is the 65x65 mm. Well worth it imo. Better than spending 200 on a lengthen and rebalanced driveshaft. Will post more pics tommarow.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.