Jeep XJ 1996 Auxiliary Fan Temp Sensor ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep XJ 1996 Auxiliary Fan Temp Sensor ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
blackrain

Jeep XJ 1996 Auxiliary Fan Temp Sensor ?

My Jeep runs hot when idling on a hot day or when I'm pulling the boat. I feel my auxiliary fan turns on too late because it starts spinning at 220F. The fan however turns on regardless at any temp when I run the AC.

Should I replace the temperature sensor that turns on this fan or some actuator in the control unit? Where is it? Help?

I have also done a coolant flush and installed a 190F thermostat.

blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
XJdamyankee

Well your fan is running normal, it's not suppose to come on until you hit 220 or whenever you turn the ac on. Your other options would be to put in an override switch for the fan so you can turn it on anytime plus if your pulling a boat I would strongly suggest you upgrade your radiator and install a trans cooler.
OME 2" lift & shocks, RE super-ride control arms
XJdamyankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

215-218* is the normal temp for the E-fan to turn on.

If you are running hot you need to focus on the other parts of the cooling system. Is your radiator clogged with mud and bugs outside or mineral deposits on the inside ? Is your mechanical fan clutch working correctly ? How old is your water pump ? The vanes on the water pump can wear down and your coolant flow will be less than required. When was the last time you replaced your radiator cap ? Are your radiator hoses old and mushy and collapsing under pressure enough to restrict the coolant flow ?

Do you have an auxiliary transmission cooler installed as recommend when towing ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 06-30-2009 at 06:04 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
DC4W-93XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

wire that baby to a switch!
SEE THE BUILD HERE
DC4W-93XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4W-93XJ View Post
wire that baby to a switch!
Just wire it directly to the fan motor and don't even try to wire it into the relay coil side unless you want to buy a new PCM down the road.
Unread 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
Just wire it directly to the fan motor and don't even try to wire it into the relay coil side unless you want to buy a new PCM down the road.
How do I do that. Wire the Fan motor to...? As long as it turns off when the car is off.

I bought my 1996 jeep a year ago. Has 102k on it. Other then a coolant flush and thermostat I have not changed any other cooling components. The radiator looks fine but then again I couldn't get a great look at it because the AC radiator is in the way. I'm hesitant to move it since the AC still works.
Unread 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

you might just need to get a new clutch for your clutch pulley fan. they don't cool as well as they should when they start to wear out.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your cooling system is working properly, you do not need to run the E-fan on a switch.

Service your cooling system, and replace any under-performing parts. Fix it right, and it will work right.

Install a transmission cooler.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
blackrain

what does the clutch fan pulley do?

what components should i replace first? radiator, pump, (something else)???
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
BrunoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
My Jeep runs hot when idling on a hot day or when I'm pulling the boat. I feel my auxiliary fan turns on too late because it starts spinning at 220F. The fan however turns on regardless at any temp when I run the AC.

Should I replace the temperature sensor that turns on this fan or some actuator in the control unit? Where is it? Help?

I have also done a coolant flush and installed a 190F thermostat.
you have a worn out cooling fan clutch. $40, 30 minute fix. normal wear and tear item. your electric fan is working normally at on at 219'F and off at 207'F. it's a bit overworked if your main fan cltuch can't keep up, resulting in a "hot idle temp creep" at a red light.

you thermostat and temp sensor on the housing is correct. your dash gauge sensor near #6 cylinder is also good.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
How do I do that. Wire the Fan motor to...? As long as it turns off when the car is off.
You'd wire in a separate relay to the battery and have the switched side get power from the ignition switch so it shuts off. The switched power out of the relay will go to the green (I think that was the color) wire on the fan to turn it on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.