Jeep won't start....really need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep won't start....really need help

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
smclaurin

Jeep won't start....really need help

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 with a 4.0 inline six. About 2 months ago it shut down on me while I was in line to pick up my kids from school. I had to pull it home because I couldn't get it to start. My husband and I have replaced the fuel pump because it would not come on. After putting the new one in, its still not coming on. Since then, we have replaced both the cam and crank sensors and not only is it not firing, but now all the gauges are not working, the fuel pump is still not coming on, and there is a no bus on the odometer. We've checked all the fuses and have replaced the fuel pump relay, but still nothing. I've read a few threads on here about this and we have done a few tests I've seen, but still nothing. Can anyone help lead us in a direction to find and fix the problem? We are both going crazy trying to fix it as it is our only vehicle at the moment. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

smclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Random stalling, cranking over and not starting, some or/all gauges not working, and a No-Bus all point to a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor or its wire harness.

Did you buy genuine Jeep sensors or cheap crappy "Lifetime Warranty parts" ? There is a difference.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
smclaurin

We bought the sensors from Autozone, I read on another thread that Jeep parts are better but we couldn't afford it. We did test it and it is a good one, but I just replaced that sensor a year ago because it shut down on me 2 years ago. Am I going to continue having problems like this?
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cheap crappy "Lifetime Warranty" parts are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. Many times they have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a phantom "problem" that ended up being cured with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
smclaurin

We're still having trouble with the fuel pump not coming on, I don't have an owner's manual so its kinda hard to trace wires when you don't know what wires go to where. Do you have any diagrams or anything that could help us trace wires? We also need some help figuring out what to do about the gauges, none of them are working. Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy a Factory Service Manual. It contains diagnostic procedures, repair procedures, and complete wire diagrams. About $8 at http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

If the CPS is faulty, the fuel pump will prime for 2-5 seconds and then stay shut off until you fix the CPS issues. As a test, and only a test, you can jump the fuel pump relay.

Unread 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
smclaurin

How do I jump the fuel pump relay?
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

See your Factory Service Manual wire diagrams. Use a small jumper wire from the 12 volts input in the relay socket to the relay output wire to fuel pump wire.

Unread 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
MaskedMallard
2000 XJ Cherokee 

To test the fuel pump. Pull a known good working headlight from the vehicle. Disconnect the fuel pump wiring harness. Jumper the fuel pump wiring harness to the headlight. Attempt to start vehicle like you normally would. Does the headlight shine bright for about 2-5 seconds????
Make sure the battery is strong, don't assume. Put that battery on the trickle charger for 5 hours or so.
MaskedMallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check every single fuse in the PCM and in the passenger kick panel.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.