Jeep Won't Start, No Click? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep Won't Start, No Click?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Won't Start, No Click?

Okay So I've posted about this before but I have a new development.

So about two weeks ago my jeep wouldn't start and I had it towed to firestone and they said it was the starter and it was replaced. However my jeep would start after it sat, but if I drove it a short distance and tried to crank it back it would not, but after I let it sit for a while it would. Well yesterday i drove it a good bit and turned it off and on plenty.

Today I had to adjust my rear drums so I had it in neutral and once I was done I wanted to take it for a spin. Wouldn't start

I unhooked all my grounds and wires cleaned them and still nothing. I have not tried jumping the starter, but I tried putting it in neutral and jiggling the shifter and it I could hear the starter engage but only for a split second a few times. NSS? or Ignition switch?

The button on my shifter is broken so I can shift the car without pressing it, and I can turn my car on and still pull the key out. Would those play a role in causing the car not to start?

Thanks for any input!

antcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And just out of curiosity how would one jump the starter? Like with a screwdriver, what two connections do I need to cross?
Unread 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think the push button in the shifter is an issue for starting but its definitely not safe.
Being able to remove your key while running may contribute to the no start. But more than likely not but, it will make the jeep easier to steal.
It sounds like nss. Maybe cleaning and adjusting are all that's needed.
Unread 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay well I got up underneath it with the key in it and jumped the starter and it scared the hell out of me but it craned up and I drove it a couple of miles and came back home turned it off. 30 seconds later tried to start it up and it did. So would jumping the starter bypass the nss?
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No, maybe you need to disconnect the main feed to the starter and clean both the terminal and the wire, probably corroded, or the starters on it's way out the door.

edit, disconnect battery first before doing this...
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green97xjsport View Post
No, maybe you need to disconnect the main feed to the starter and clean both the terminal and the wire, probably corroded, or the starters on it's way out the door.

edit, disconnect battery first before doing this...
Well its supposed to be a new starter, I think maybe the solenoid on this one may be bad?
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That's possible. Remember just because something is new or rebuilt or remanned it can still fail at any time. It sucks I know but it happens to the best of us
Unread 02-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #8
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Do your reverse lights work? If so, do they ever not work intermittently?

From the day I bought my 97 I never had working reverse lights. Most of the time it would start right up, but occasionally it wouldn't. The PO installed a push button for when it wouldn't start. All it was was a jumper wire to the "s" terminal on the starter. I found an NSS on eBay for under $40 shipped and have had no issues since. I even have my reverse lights back.
JMH21814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH21814 View Post
Do your reverse lights work? If so, do they ever not work intermittently?

From the day I bought my 97 I never had working reverse lights. Most of the time it would start right up, but occasionally it wouldn't. The PO installed a push button for when it wouldn't start. All it was was a jumper wire to the "s" terminal on the starter. I found an NSS on eBay for under $40 shipped and have had no issues since. I even have my reverse lights back.
No, my reverse lights don't work at all ever (I'm hoping its just blown bulbs ) and I know the NSS controls the reverse lights although I hope it isn't the NSS.

The thing is that I can still get underneath it and jump the starter (does that bypass the nss?) with the key turned so that all the electronics are on and it will crank so I plan on getting under it and disconnecting the wires cleaning them and such and maybe adding some dielectric to it and see where that gets me.

While I was under it jumping the starter I realized that one of the POs cut out the cat and put a straight pipe and I am now missing an o2 sensor which is probably why my CEL is on. Does not having or missing an o2 sensor affect engine performance? I also don't see the wires that should go to the second o2 sensor, could they have cut that out also?

Last edited by antcg; 02-10-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcg View Post
No, my reverse lights don't work at all ever (I'm hoping its just blown bulbs ) and I know the NSS controls the reverse lights although I hope it isn't the NSS.

...I plan on getting under it and disconnecting the wires cleaning them and such and maybe adding some dielectric to it and see where that gets me.

Does not having or missing an o2 sensor affect engine performance? I also don't see the wires that should go to the second o2 sensor, could they have cut that out also?
Actually you DO hope it's the NSS because it's almost always an easy fix. Dealing with some body's hack bypass job is harder. Make sure the NSS is there...and connected. Then read up on removing and cleaning it.

Cleaning the wires on the starter, battery, grounds, etc. is also good ol' solid maintenance. Might do the trick...but should be ruled out early.

If you ever have to do a DOT inspection or smog, you'll need a new cat, and that is what the CEL is (your Jeep trying to tell you something). Can't say if that's going to make it run better, I have older Jeeps.
Unread 02-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
Actually you DO hope it's the NSS because it's almost always an easy fix. Dealing with some body's hack bypass job is harder. Make sure the NSS is there...and connected. Then read up on removing and cleaning it.
Well I don't know if its there since I haven't looked for it or know where its located. I don't mean actually bypassing it with a wire on the connector I was just wondering if using a screwdriver to kick out the starter bypasses the nss. Yesterday I had to do that and was wondering if by using a screwdriver on the starter would bypass the nss or not?
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes it bypasses it. And yes if you have 2 o2 sensors and one is missing the cel will be on for that. Also on the rigs with multiple o2's if you remove the cat and a sensor without tricking the sensor the ecu will not make proper fuel adjustments and she wont run optimally.
The older xjs 95 down had only one upstream and would run better without cat.
There's a mid/trick for the downstream sensor. Google it.
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

For future reference you can jump the solenoid on the starter relay on the inner fender, no need to crawl under it or reach down.
The center wire goes to the starter solenoid.
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:43 AM   #14
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, like others have said, jumping the starter bypasses the NSS. I'm telling you, the NSS is the way to go. Its the proper, long lasting fix to multiple issues your having. Shipping from eBay is usually rather fast. There's also Amazon and tons of other vendors online.
JMH21814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #15
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
For future reference you can jump the solenoid on the starter relay on the inner fender, no need to crawl under it or reach down.
The center wire goes to the starter solenoid.
The solenoid is on the starter. The ignition wire does run up towards the fender battery area. Depending on the year as to how easily accessible it is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.