jeep wont start, i think i need a CPS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep wont start, i think i need a CPS

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Rock Kustoms

jeep wont start, i think i need a CPS

So i changed my starter because i blew the old one up, and it still doesnt start

my codes are 11, 42, 12, 25, 55 in that order

meaning

CPS
ASD
Battery disconnected
IAC
End

i disconnected the battery to change the starter, and popped the fuse for the ASD about 4 days ago, the IAC im not sure about, can that affect start up? no, right?

should i replace my CPS, or should i try and ohm it out, does anyone have the values?

Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
ddoffroad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

does it turn over at all or are you not getting anynmovement in the engine at all?

Down & Dirty Offroad: http://ddoffroad.com/
My XJ site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2488225/
My Old XJ Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058746
ddoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
jandj

does it crank? CPS will keep it from starting not cranking. Battery disc. means nothing since you disc your battery. If the IAC goes bad your enigne will start but not idle, just replaced mine by the way. To check the CPS you can backprobe the elec connection by the intake manifold. The book says to discconct and ohm b & C and it should be open (overload). I don't like that way. If you have a anolog meter you can backprobe the connector one wire will have about 5volts (power from computer) one will be a ground, and other will be return power to computer. With the meter set up for voltage probe the ground and the return wires and crank the motor over you should see the meter jump from o volts to 5 volts when the engine spins (you do need an anolog meter not a digital it happens to fast for a digital to read). If you have any other ?'s let me know...

Look'n to purchase now
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
Rock Kustoms

cranks over fine

the b and c ohm trick doesnt work, im assuming A is the power, ill check that out b4 i go to get it
Unread 03-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
jandj

what did you get when you check between b and c? should have been either overload (open) or approx. 0 ohms (closed).

Look'n to purchase now
Unread 03-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #6
kcrunchone

try and use an analog meter it will give you more of an acurate... often you will get E or OE when checking between b and c.... using the analog will give you a better direction for trouble shooting...

krx
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
Rock Kustoms

damnit, i get 0 ohms between b and c.....

do i need to crank it over while checking?
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #8
CowboyPA

Before you go tossing a CPS at it, make sure your ASD Relay is good... Get a wiring diagram and just check that it's getting power ground and trigger, then make sure it is putting out.. These are known to fail and sometimes fail only to a point of passing reduced voltage. So just because it clicks dont mean nothing.. Been down this road and lost money (used to work flat rate) being fooled by a click..
I will try to remember how to make the tool, but I was shown a way of using a 9v battery and an LED to test the CPS... You disconnect the CPS from the harnass and feed 9v into one wire and then watch the LED flash as the motor turns (being cranked).. If I find the diagram I will post it here later today

Every rose has it's Thorn, every XJ has it's leak, and every cowboy sings a sad sad song
CowboyPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #9
Rock Kustoms

asd is good, swapped it w/ the AC clutch relay..... the fuse for the ASD is also good
Unread 03-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #10
Rock Kustoms

CPS replaced and she starts.....wont stay running at idle tho....IAC im assuming..... :-(
Unread 03-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #11
jandj

yup, if it won't stay running @ idle check the IAC.
cowboypa, I like that little tool for checking the CPS I may have to make one thanks for the idea....

Look'n to purchase now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.