jeep wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep wont start

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
TwelfthCoin

jeep wont start

I have a 1994 jeep cherokee v6 4.0. It recently decided to not start anymore. Every once in awhile it will start mainly when its been sitting and is cold. It will still crank and turn over just wont start. Has a newer battery and plugs and wires so I'm positive that's not the problem. No check engine lights (thank god cause nobody around seems to have obd 1 sensor). I was told and did some investigating on jeepforum and found out that it could be the cps. So I just changed that but at last when I thought it had it fixed still no start. If anybody has any info it would be appreciated. Thank you.

TwelfthCoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Salient points:
1) If you have the 4.0L engine, you have an inline six (I6,) not a "V6." AMC never produced a V6 - the only one they used in Jeep was one they bought from Buick in the late 1960s-early 1970s.

2) I'm not sure I fully understand the issue you're having. "No Start" covers a good deal of ground. Is the problem intermittent, or constant? Does it manifest in different ways? A "No Start" condition can be a result of:
- "No Crank". You turn the key and nothing happens.
- "Crank, No Light". The starter motor cranks the engine over, but it won't catch.
- "Crank, No Run". The starter motor cranks the engine, and it catches - but it won't stay running once you let go the key.

All would have different potential causes to address, which can be further narrowed down by additional symptoms and observations. Help us help you - short of direct examination, all we have to go on is what you say. So, be thorough and perhaps a bit more organised, to make it easier to extract the information we need (but, by telling us your vehicle year and engine, you've already helped a good deal... )
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
TwelfthCoin

It is definitely cranking over but wont catch. It will start and run the first time. Then every time you try to start it it just wont start, crank but no catch. But if it sits for awhile it will start again. And sorry dont know much about em.
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Heat soak?
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
TwelfthCoin

I dont think so. Its my girlfriend jeep and she just drives it to and from work.
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You need to do a bit of testing when it won't start to help narrow down the root cause.

First, test spark. Pull a spark plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may be caused by a weak ignition coil.

If you have strong blue spark (and only if) then put a small amount of gas into the throttle body. If the engine starts with fuel introduced manually, you have identified a fuel delivery problem. You need approximately 31 psi of fuel pressure for your 93 4.0 engine to start. If in question, test it with a fuel pressure gauge which you can rent inexpensively from many parts stores.

Report back with the results of the above; these tests will do a lot in heading you in the right direction. Don't throw parts at this on a hunch. Terribly ineffective and can get expensive in a hurry!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
bobbo_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft position sensor. Which one was replaced?

also: reset computer afterwards: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ecu-failure-351573/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.