Jeep won't crank over. I've replaced everything. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep won't crank over. I've replaced everything.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
PyroPhan
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you! I was wondering about how I would go about testing the Ign. switch. I'll test it when I get a chance and post the results.

PyroPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caged View Post
is it the same paperclip for the last 3 years?
maybe check to see if it's getting proper connection. possibly replace with a larger paperclip.

or just install a push button starter wired to the solenoid...
...I would definitely seal it up good with some bubble gum...it's safer for proper connections. Minty stick gum doesn't work as well.

But seriously folks, OP says he replaced everything.

Jumped the NSS, replaced two starters after jumping the terminals.

Sounds like you're doing roadside repairs to get the thing to run on a regular basis. Get a DMM and do some troubleshooting.
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
JeeperJeep12
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Or have you tried putting it in nuetral?.... I have to do that sometimes with my baby and it starts right up.
JeeperJeep12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
mrcharokee124
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroPhan View Post
So here's the deal. I've got a '94 Cherokee Country with the 4.0 motor. Most everything is stock. I've been running into a problem every now and again in which the Jeep won't turn over. It only happens once in a while. It's frustrating because it renders the truck completely inoperable. I turn the key and nothing. Not a click or anything. All the lights come on, radio turns on. I've got a strong charge from the battery. Ive already bypassed the NSS so I'm highly positive that the NSS isnt to blame. Sometimes it flat out wont crank no matter how long i hold the key in the start position, and sometimes i'llt hold the key in the start position and it will finally crank after 5-10 seconds of holding it. I've replaced the battery with an Optima Yellow Top, so we know it's not a battery issue. I've replaced the starter, twice. So we can rule that out. I've switched out the Starter relay with the AC relay and had the same results... I have no more ideas, please throw me a bone here.
This had happin to me, it ended up being the streeting column. It took me a mounth of replacing stuff to figure it out, hopefully this will help u out..

Last edited by mrcharokee124; 06-20-2012 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: steering column
mrcharokee124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
maximvanwijk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

OP? Any luck on solving this problem? I'm currently facing the exact same issues on my '97 XJ. I initially thought it had something to do with the immobilizer on the after market alarm system, but it's beginning to look more and more in the direction of the ignition switch. I've jumped NSS with no luck, still have to try and check that starter relay.Don't know how to identify the correct pins to check though. Any picture examples are more than welcome.
maximvanwijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximvanwijk View Post
OP? Any luck on solving this problem? I'm currently facing the exact same issues on my '97 XJ. I initially thought it had something to do with the immobilizer on the after market alarm system, but it's beginning to look more and more in the direction of the ignition switch. I've jumped NSS with no luck, still have to try and check that starter relay.Don't know how to identify the correct pins to check though. Any picture examples are more than welcome.
I read somwhere that any of the other relays in there can be subed in place of the current starter relay to evaluate its functionality.

Some else might confirm...
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
maximvanwijk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
I read somwhere that any of the other relays in there can be subed in place of the current starter relay to evaluate its functionality.

Some else might confirm...
That is correct, but the relay itself is not where my problem lies. It's in the wiring, probably from the ignition switch to the relay. I've already taken that apart and cleaned it, but this hasn't helped so far. So I need to check one of the pins on the relay socket. I just don't know which pin is the right one to check.

And a merry Christmas it is. Found out which pin is which. Checked ignition switch. Fine. Tapped starter a few times and Hallelujah! We have ignition. Will be replacing starter after the holidays!

Last edited by maximvanwijk; 12-25-2012 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: found problem
maximvanwijk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start , start problems , starter , starter issue , starting problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.