JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Jeep won't crank over. I've replaced everything. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/jeep-wont-crank-over-ive-replaced-everything-1365169/)

PyroPhan 05-04-2012 10:12 PM

Jeep won't crank over. I've replaced everything.

So here's the deal. I've got a '94 Cherokee Country with the 4.0 motor. Most everything is stock. I've been running into a problem every now and again in which the Jeep won't turn over. It only happens once in a while. It's frustrating because it renders the truck completely inoperable. I turn the key and nothing. Not a click or anything. All the lights come on, radio turns on. I've got a strong charge from the battery. Ive already bypassed the NSS so I'm highly positive that the NSS isnt to blame. Sometimes it flat out wont crank no matter how long i hold the key in the start position, and sometimes i'll hold the key in the start position and it will finally crank after 5-10 seconds of holding it. I've replaced the battery with an Optima Yellow Top, so we know it's not a battery issue. I've replaced the starter, twice. So we can rule that out. I've switched out the Starter relay with the AC relay and had the same results... I have no more ideas, please throw me a bone here.

RockHard07 05-04-2012 10:18 PM

check out the ignition switch. i dont have alot of experience with cherokees, but i replace ignition switchs on GMs all the time and they do the same thing when they crap out
good luck

PyroPhan 05-04-2012 10:21 PM

I'm pretty sure it isn't the Ign Switch because all of my dash gauges and everything act appropriately when I have it in the 'start' position. Thanks for the idea though, I'll look into it. Anyone else have any more ideas?

jeepjunkymike 05-04-2012 10:26 PM

run a wire directly to the solenoid on the starter and see if it starts that way,,that will narrow down the hunt

whitexj98 05-04-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjunkymike (Post 13519488)
run a wire directly to the solenoid on the starter and see if it starts that way,,that will narrow down the hunt

That will just verify the starter is good, sounds like the problem is in the circuit to the solenoid.

PyroPhan 05-04-2012 10:29 PM

I've jumped the starter by bridging the terminals with a screwdriver, and it starts. With this being the third starter in the truck, I'm willing to believe the starter isn't the issue.

whitexj98 05-04-2012 10:32 PM

Your positive the NSS is jumped "good", This sounds like a classic NSS. How exactley did you jump it?

PyroPhan 05-05-2012 01:46 AM

Paper clip snugly fit into the terminals, and secured and insulated with electrical tape. I'm going to see about rebuilding it tomorrow and see if that changes anything. The jump has been working adequately for the past 3 years. I'll check it and get back to you all.

xjfever 05-05-2012 05:05 AM

I am gonna guess it is the ignition switch. I had the same issue a few years ago and the switch fixed it for me.

caged 05-05-2012 05:05 AM

is it the same paperclip for the last 3 years?
maybe check to see if it's getting proper connection. possibly replace with a larger paperclip.

or just install a push button starter wired to the solenoid...

theshaolin 05-05-2012 06:20 AM

My vote is ground cable corrosion or the like.

Trons 05-05-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshaolin (Post 13520118)
My vote is ground cable corrosion or the like.

That's what I was thinking. I would also like to say that I think this is the first electrical problem thread I've seen that didn't have 100 people saying to remove, clean and replace all the ground connections in the engine bay.

:cheers2:

BlueRidgeMark 05-05-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroPhan (Post 13519880)
I'm going to see about rebuilding it tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

Replace-this-replace-that-replace-that-again-replace-something-else is a great way to be broke and frustrated.

I suggest jumping the ignition switch. Stop messing with the starter - you've already proven that's not the problem.

Cleaning grounds isn't a bad idea, but my money is on the ignition switch.

Troubleshoot, don't just throw parts at it.

PyroPhan 05-05-2012 05:11 PM

Troubleshoot by throwing parts at it?

Saudade 05-06-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroPhan (Post 13519474)
I'm pretty sure it isn't the Ign Switch because all of my dash gauges and everything act appropriately when I have it in the 'start' position. Thanks for the idea though, I'll look into it. Anyone else have any more ideas?

There is a dedicated contact in the ign switch to feed the starter relay. Pull the starter relay in the PDC and use a voltmeter in the socket on Pin 86. Turn the key to start. You should get 12V. If not, the feed from the switch is bad. Pin 85 should read ground with your bypassed NSS.

Carefully, apply 12V to Pin 87. This feeds the starter solenoid and see if it cranks.

The time now is 04:06 PM.