Jeep troubles continue... shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep troubles continue... shifting

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
Thmastr

Jeep troubles continue... shifting

hm some of you might remember me posting about an absent second gear when the jeep was cold.

well now that (I am on vacation) I have time to cheeck it out.

the last time I was driving the car (back from a 200 mile trip from which 190 easyly were freeway) when the car was stopped at a light and I wanted to put it in first the car would NOT want to go into first gear, or second (even though the car was more than warm by that time). I had to start off in 3rd, and then down shift to first while I was moving at 2-5 mph. Or downshift to second at that same speed cause first wasnt cooperating.

Any Ideas? I have not yet checked fluids, but the last time I checked (two weeks) the fluid reservoir above the clutch master cylinder was just below the max line and I mean just below...

Thmastr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

ive heard of synchros going bad and they dont want to shift right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Thmastr

any idea how much would it be to repair it if I pay a mechanic?
Thmastr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
badassls1z
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would definately check the simple stuff, like tranny fluid level and maybe bleed the clutch. There should be a plug on the side of the tranny to check the fluid, probably wouldn't hurt to change it while youre under there. Does the clutch feel good? What year XJ do you have? If your synchros are bad and you have the older Peugeot tranny, I wouldn't waste money on it, just replace it with an AX-15 or NV3550. If it is the synchros, you could probably replace them yourself if you have worked on cars much, manual transmissions are really simple.

'92 White XJ Laredo, 3" Lift, 33's SOLD
badassls1z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.