jeep shuts off randomly??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep shuts off randomly???

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
theRokee-88

jeep shuts off randomly???

My 88 4.0 cherokee keeps shuting off on me when most of the electronics are on in the car (esp. the heater). the other night I drove for about 10 mins with the lights heater and radio on. I tried to roll my electric window down and it instantly shut off. However it turned right back on after I shut everything off. turned the lights back on, car shut off. car turned right back on. got down the street aways put my blinker on car shuts off. turns right back on.

It had happened before so it took it to a shop they couldn't get it to shutoff so they fixed what they thought the problem was. but of course that wasn't it.

I am at a loss. no idea what it is. Need help.

Thanks very much,
Alex

theRokee-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bad grounds, its a fairly common issue, the grounds to the battery coming loose and failing or becoming severely corroded and failing.

Clean/refresh the grounds to the battery, check the chassis ground and engine ground cables and report back.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Brg0012
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Bad grounds, its a fairly common issue, the grounds to the battery coming loose and failing or becoming severely corroded and failing.

Clean/refresh the grounds to the battery, check the chassis ground and engine ground cables and report back.
x2
Brg0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The ground strap from the back of the head to the firewall: Remove it from the firewall and clean the paint off the firewall and bolt it back on. Be sure it is tight at teh back of the head.

Follow your negative battery from the battery to where it bolts on to the block. Make sure it's a clean and tight connection.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
theRokee-88

Thanks very much I'll try that this weekend and post back the results.

Thanks again,
Alex
theRokee-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Wouldn't hurt to add a cable from the firewall bolt to a bolt on the intake manifold. The grounds on these Jeeps were underengineered to say the least.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Wouldn't hurt to add a cable from the firewall bolt to a bolt on the intake manifold. The grounds on these Jeeps were underengineered to say the least.
Agree with cruiser. You must start by FRESHENING grounds. RENIX Cherokees (87-90) are extremely susceptible to ground issues. More below:
---------------------------
Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.