Jeep popping noise (video inside) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep popping noise (video inside)

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Smoked Style Hood Air DeflectorIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
jdest001
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep popping noise (video inside)

I need help diagnosing this popping noise. It only seems to happen when in 4lo and when climbing a steep incline. All u-joints and suspension components seem ok. The Jeep is a 1998 cherokee with a Rusty's 6.5" long arm lift and 33" tires. See video.

Unread 05-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Exactly where is the noise coming from ? If it is coming from the center of the Jeep, you probably need a new Transfer Case chain. If you watch, you will see the T-Case jump when the noise happens. You probably can feel it by holding the T-Case shift lever.

If the noise is coming from the front axle, your coil springs are probably binding on the bump stop cups.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Savanna
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing... I always thought I needed to extend my bumpstops
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
jdest001
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Exactly where is the noise coming from ? If it is coming from the center of the Jeep, you probably need a new Transfer Case chain. If you watch, you will see the T-Case jump when the noise happens. You probably can feel it by holding the T-Case shift lever.

If the noise is coming from the front axle, your coil springs are probably binding on the bump stop cups.

Its hard to tell where it is coming from mainly because i cant duplicate the noise regularly, but it does seem to be coming from somewhere in the front.
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Put it in 4lo and give it some gas with you foot hard on the brake and see if it pops then. Be careful doing this and make sure nothing is in front of you because the brakes won't hold you back in 4lo if you hit the gas a little too hard!!!

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Elexwiz
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Try going over the same hill in the video in 2wd.
1987 XJ 4.0 I6, Peugeot tranny, NP231, AA SYE, 8.25" 29 spline, Dana 30 (HP), Rusty’s 4.5 inch coils, BDS 5500 4.5" shocks, 5" junkyard bastard pack, Rusty’s Adj LCAs, RC Quick Discos, JKS BPEs (front and rear), Aussie Lockers (front and rear), Durango steering box, and Removable Doors!
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Savanna
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I really want to know what this is now...
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
jdest001
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Me too haha. I dont get the noise in 4 low and holding the brake so i don't think it is the transfer case. The more i watch the video it seems to be suspension related, but what in the suspension could make that noise? I can fully flex the suspension without issue, but when it is put under load (when climbing a uneven steep hill) i get the popping.
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang , noise , pop , popping , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.