Jeep-a-gon Build Thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep-a-gon Build Thread

Jeepagon (Cherokee Camper project)

Decided today that I would create a thread about my recent project. Since I usually get carried away working on the truck, i never really had the desire to take picture's as I progressed. And this being my first "build thread" I will try my best to keep it updated with in depth pictures and answers.
(ps. I'm sorry if the pictures are so large)

For the overall plan of the project, I will be installing a pop top off an older VW camper.
(I owned a vanagon for 3 years and it really was an incredible machine, you’d be surprised. I also enjoyed the pop top feature thus the reason why I started this project.

To

A reminder, looks are deceiving as far as these images go. Im trimming a good percentage off the sides of the fiberglass top and painting everything black. Its going to be much more low profile then how this picture shows it to be. No worries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CLOTHIER TRANSMISSION & TRACTION PRODUCTS
Tire Chains for 31" up to 49" tires
Transmission Adapter Kit, GM/Chevy "4 bolt main" to SAE #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Purchased at a junkyard for $50.
Spent the day cleaning.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

this will be interesting to follow! keep posting

post #4 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbslikewhoa View Post
Purchased at a junkyard for $50.
Spent the day cleaning.....

Did that thing float to shore? You had some work getting that clean. I'd like to see that on the top of your rig. Will the roof support it? Not empty but with your in it?

I think you are onto something here.

BUY IT DONT' BUILD IT!! You will be money and time ahead. (Flip off)
post #5 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Since I will be cutting a large section out of the roof, I purchased a roll bar off a 87? 4 runner for $27. Than Fitted it and had a friend weld up the new brackets. Since I am losing strength from the body, Im hoping the roll bar will compensate for the loss.

post #6 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

that looks awesome ....how hard was that to install?
post #7 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the roll bar?? piece of cake haha. I went to the junk yard for brake cylinders, and came home with a roll bar as well. I did some quick measurements and figured, worse comes to worse, I could cut and trim here and there to make it fit, but honestly, all I had to do was trim the two front arms up about 3 inches and weld the brakets on an angle to fit my wheel wells. Its tight around all the edges, slides right in, and fits practically perfectly.

post #8 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is one of the ideas I have about sleeping arrangments. The bus I took the top from actually had a hammock that connected front and rear. My old van had a hard wood bed that had to fold out making the top larger so it could fit. Going with a much lower profile pop top, I think this idea would work best.. that way I could just take the hammock down and close the roof when im done.

post #9 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That

Will

Be

Awesome

Keep up the work! Never heard of this kind of idea before! I wanna see it done!

-Max Black 1996 XJ

4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.

Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
post #10 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am also currently building a winch bumper for the truck... ( i like to keep myself busy :P)

I designed some bumper brackets and had tarco steel cut them out of 1/2" steel on their plasma cutter. I picked them up yesturday.

post #11 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just removed the light bar and rack off the truck. Definitly not an easy job with just one person. Having a bad night, nothings going right and im getting quite moody. So I decided to call it quits for tonight. Tomorrow morning im running over to the junkyard to grab the other half of the vw roof so i can start to measure and cut. Hopefully itll go a little better.

as far as the winch bumper goes.. One of the three bolts snapped connecting the steering box to the frame. So, im not really sure what to do now cause i feel the others will snap too.

post #12 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

rock on man, i cant wait to see how this turns out
post #13 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

That will be awesome, it would look cooler if you could put the rack on top of it. Might be heavy though.

Kyle - I mod stuff®
2005 Subaru Legacy GT

post #14 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking about building a bar around the roof so i could still have the top aux lights.. plus then the bar could protect the fiberglass, but idk how that would look either. I'm just going to try different things before i do any severe destruction. i really wanted to put the roof on tonight but im so afraid of braking something more with my bad luck streak going....

post #15 of 645 Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbslikewhoa View Post
i literally said "holy mother of god" when i scrolled down to see these

'98 xj sport (trail toy) |

'98 xj classic (dd'er) |

'89 mj tinker toy |

|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.