Jeep dying while driving. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep dying while driving.

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
cucster01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep dying while driving.

So the other day I drove about 2.5 hours highway with no problems from Co. Springs to Keystone but as soon as I got into town my jeep just died on me. It has been doing this ever since then, I can start it up just fine and don't have any power issues as all the guages and stereo are still working but when I start driving it just dies on me, power still on. 2001 jeep cherokee sport. Please help, any thought would be useful.

cucster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check your crankshaft position sensor Also called CKP.
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
cucster01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've read and heard a lot about how this could be the problem but I have no problem starting and i've got no guage reading issues and from what i've read those would be happening. I am new to diagnosing issues however so I could be wrong. I'm actually curious if it could be my coolant temp sensor?
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
cucster01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I actually went for a test drive just today and just a mile or so out and it died on the way but I then Unplugged the Coolant Temp Sensor for the drive back and had no issues. thoughts?
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Coolant Temperature Sensor will not cause stalling. The crankshaft position sensor should be your first suspect. The O2 sensors should be your second suspect.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree that the crankshaft position sensor is absolutely the primary suspect. I've seen many with the exact same symptom as you describe.

Testing can be done, but with the way it fails for you, will probably not be of any value. You do NOT have to have any gauge issues to have a faulty crank sensor. Some do, but maybe only a third of them or so.

If you do buy a crank sensor, do yourself a big favor and buy a Mopar unit from Jeep. Aftermarket crank sensors are very "hit and miss" with a whole heck of a lot of miss. I will not install nor will I recommend anything but a Mopar crank sensor. Why take the chance for the most important sensor on your engine?

Search and you will find many threads of people that have suffered with aftermarket crank sensors. Don't be that guy.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
cucster01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't disagree with your advice however i've read that a faulty temp sensor can cause the engine to run rich which could cause stalling and that it could read that the engine was overheating when it wasn't causing it to die. thoughts?
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think you probably need a genuine Jeep CPS. I have owned 5 1997-01 XJ Cherokee, and 4 of them needed a new CPS. One needed a new Coolant Temp Sensor, and other than running funny, it never stalled until the CPS failed.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
cucster01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So I'm gonna replace the CPS next, the coolant temp sensor helped a lil' at first seemed good but it's back to it's old problems now. Hopefully the CPS fixes my issues.
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Try ASD relay, it is cheaper if it is bad and takes 2 seconds to test. Switch it with another relay and if the problem goes away it was the relay.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.