Jeep cut out, turns but wont start, no gauges work but dash lights do, 4.0 XJ 1997 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep cut out, turns but wont start, no gauges work but dash lights do, 4.0 XJ 1997

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

FIXED WAS CPS PLEASE READ ON FOR POSTS THAT HELPED IDENTIFY AND FIX THE PROBLEM

Hi,

4.0 XJ Cherokee Limited 1997

Drove 4 miles -ok. started it an hour later and it cut out 30secs later, i restarted it and drove 4 miles. Then it cut out and hasn't started since.

Battery was strong
Starter turns
All usual electrics work except the gauges on the dash - no batt, no fuel, no temp, no pressure. dash lights work fine and the security icon appears ok.
OK JUST CHECKED NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND NO MPG DISPLAY

Ive had a quick look at all the visable fuses and they look ok'ish

what do i need to check and in what order??

the weird thing is the no dash gauges too?

Any help very much appreciated

Thanks

LOIIIIIIIOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cam sensor dealer only after market one wont work
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Would that cause the CEL light not to light up?

Thanks
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mine didnt come on either driven dwn the expressway no power to nothn
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes there is no signs of ck engine light make sure you buy the sensor from the dealer
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The CPS is the most coomon cause of the symptoms you describe. Some simple testing and diagnsotics will include or exclude the CPS.

If you need a new CPS, buy a genuine Jeep CPS.

The most likely cause of it cranks and cranks but won't start up is the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) located on the transmission bell housing. Often this part is also referred to as the CranKshaft Position Sensor (CKP) CPS/CKP failure is very common. The CPS/CKP can stop working with no warning or symptoms and the engine will not run or the engine may randomly stall for no apparent reason.

Typical Symptoms –
- Starter cranks and cranks but engine won't start up and run.
- Fuel gauge and voltage gauge may not work or display properly.
- You sometimes will have No Bus on the odometer after 30-60 seconds.
- A failed CPS/CKP may or may not throw a CEL trouble code.
- No spark at the spark plugs.
- Fuel pump should run and prime for 3-5 seconds.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds and the ECM/ECU may behave oddly until you remedy this.

Exchange the fuel pump relay and the ASD relay with one of the other similar ones in the PDC to eliminate the relays as the cause of the no-start. Check the ASD relay fuse.

Confirm that the fuel pump to runs for 3-5 seconds when you turn the ignition key to ON.

Eliminate the NSS as a cause of no start. Wiggle the shift lever at the same time you try to start. Put the transmission in Neutral and do the same. Do the reverse lights come on when the shifter is in Reverse?

Inspect the wires and wire connectors at the O2 sensors on the exhausts pipe. A short circuit from melted insulation or from broken O2 sensor wires can blow a fuse and the ECU/ECM will loose communication. Don’t get tunnel vision and assume the sensor is bad (unless it tests bad with a meter). Damaged wiring or a dirty connector can inhibit the signal from making it to the computer. Inspect/test/clean/repair wiring or connectors as necessary.

If the CPS/CKP is failed sometimes the OBD-II trouble code reader cannot make a connection to the ECU/computer or cannot read Check Engine Light/MIL codes because the CPS/CKP has failed. Disconnect the code reader, disconnect the CPS/CKP wire connector, and reconnect the code reader. If the code reader establishes contact with the ECU and scans, your CPS/CKP is failed and needs to be replaced.

Crank Position Sensors can have intermittent “thermal failure”. This means that the CPS/CKP fails when the engine gets hot, but works again (and will test as “good”) when it cools back down.

Diagnostic steps to confirm the CPS is the cause of your no-start

1) You should be able to verify a bad cps, by unplugging it, and turning the ignition key to on. If the voltage gauge and/or the fuel gauge now display correctly and/or the No-Bus is gone, replace the CPS.
2) If the CEL does not come on when the key is turned to the RUN position... then the CPS/CKP is bad.
3) Unplugging and reconnecting the CPS sensor where it connect to the main harness near the back of the intake manifold usually resets the ECU and if the jeep fires right up after doing this you can bet that the CPS is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The 2000 and 2001 will have the CPS in the same location on the bell housing, but the wire connector is near the Transfer Case, not as shown in the diagram below. Simply follow the wire from the sensor to the connector.

CPS Testing

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP)

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1 - Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 – 275 Ohms. . If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2 - You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Genius Tim

Thanks for the super detailed answer

Ill start working on these this week.

Whats the NSS? - my reverse light have been intermittant for year and the shifter has always had abit of play in it in reverse and neutral? whats this cause and could it affect my symtoms

- will post back on here once ive started to go through your suggestions and ill post my findings

Thanks again
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Me again. Those diagrams I posted in the YJ forum to answer your question were wrong! Those were for a TJ not an XJ! Sorry

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOIIIIIIIOJ View Post
Whats the NSS? - my reverse light have been intermittant for year and the shifter has always had abit of play in it in reverse and neutral? whats this cause and could it affect my symptoms again
this will answer all your questions and tell you how to clean/repair it without replacing it, which is good because they cost ~$300 new
http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/

Last edited by dukie564; 05-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: forgot link
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOIIIIIIIOJ View Post
Whats the NSS? - my reverse light have been intermittant for year and the shifter has always had abit of play in it in reverse and neutral? whats this cause and could it affect my symtoms
http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-articles/aw4-neutral-start-switch-rebuild

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE

I have unplugged the CPS and the guages have come back to life and the check engine light appears for a few seconds (when ignition is in ON position).

replugging it and it goes back to no guages and no start

There is infinate resistence between ground and live and zero between signal and ground - not sure which is b and c?

based on the above, do you recommend i buy a cps

is mine 1-56027866AC ??

how would i know? - vin says its a 97

also dealership cps are hard to get in uk. is there a reason why i need to get a dealer one - do after market ones only last a year etc?

ive been offered a mopar sensor - but this has two bolt holes only - all the others ive seen on ebay etc (aftermarket) have a third hole a little bit in. if i bought the mopar two holed one - will it not fit etc? - i can send pics if you need more info

Thanks
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Chrysler part number for the 1997 & 1998 XJ Crankshaft Position Sensor is 56027866AB. 1999 has the AC suffix. There is no 1- in front of the basic part number.

Edit: If you look at the illustration Tim put in his post you'll see that there are only two mounting holes in the CPS.

Get the Mopar part wih the above part number.

Cheers
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
The Chrysler part number for the 1997 & 1998 XJ Crankshaft Position Sensor is 56027866AB. 1999 has the AC suffix. There is no 1- in front of the basic part number.

Edit: If you look at the illustration Tim put in his post you'll see that there are only two mounting holes in the CPS.

Get the Mopar part wih the above part number.

Cheers
Doesn't the suffix AB denote a standard transmission and the AC suffix denote the automatic tranny?

http://www.amazon.com/56027866AC-Che.../dp/B004WBGRSW

ANd

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cranksh...6027866ac.html

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1997 4.0L = 56027866 The two letter suffix can be ignored.

Genuine Jeep sensors have the best quality and performance. Numerous Forum threads tell of continuing unexplained problems with cheap sensors that are cured by installing genuine Jeep sensors.

Unread 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Doesn't the suffix AB denote a standard transmission and the AC suffix denote the automatic tranny?
No, the parts catalog only addresses 4.0 and 2.5 engines and does not address automatic or standard transmission utilization for the CPS. I believe the suffux letters are the part revision level. The 2000 & 2001 went up to AE.

Often (but not always) when I go to the dealership to buy a part I give them the part number for my '99 and they say it has been superseded by a later part number, i.e., a 2000 or 2001 part number.

If you told the dealer you wanted a part number 56027866AB CPS they would probably sell you a 56027866AE CPS....maybe.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.