Jeep Cherokee XJ Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep Cherokee XJ Engine Swap

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
hardy

Jeep Cherokee XJ Engine Swap

I have a 1998 XJ with a 4.0 and am looking for a replacement engine. I found a 1998 Wrangler TJ 4.0 engine. Will it work for my XJ?

I think I need a pre 99 engine but am not sure which models and years will work. Someone told me the Grand Cherokee engines will not work for my XJ????

Any information is appreciated. I sure want to find a way to keep my Cherokee on the road!!!

hardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
hardy

BTW...I failed to mention the Cherokee has the 4.0 engine
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1990 -2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange. Remove and re-use as needed: intake/exhaust manifolds, cylinder head, flywheel/flex plate, engine sensors, distributor or distributor-less coil rail ignition.

Also, 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks fit in XJ’s, so you are good

2000+ Wrangler and any WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L will not fit in an XJ without some significant modifications.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
hardy

Thanks!!!

I may have been told wrong. Another mechanic told me the transmission mounting was different on the Grand Cherokees.

I can use all the external parts from my Cherokee for the swap. I just want to make sure all the block mounting will work for mine.

I was also told the 99 up XJ did not use a distributor and would not be able to use it on mine.
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

2000-01 XJ's use a distributor-less coil rail ignition with cam sensor in the distributor hole. All you do is pull out the sensor and stick in a distributor in the correct orientation.

Remove and re-use as needed: intake/exhaust manifolds, cylinder head, flywheel/flex plate, engine sensors, distributor or distributor-less coil rail ignition.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine block interchange , engine swap , tj engine block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.