Jeep cherokee xj 1999 sputtering down the road and sometimes stalls. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
CasualTrips

yes except I haven't done the grounds yet but it runs perfect just except when im in drive either holding the break or moving at a constant speed. If I put it in N while at lights it doesn't try to stall out. and I have not checked my fuel pressure yet but will. I doubt thats the problem when I take the cap off of my rail and push that little button thing I get a nice stream.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 01-03-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
CasualTrips

I checked my grounds it wasn't that sorry I haven't been on in a while but my Jeep is still doing this. It mainly does it in the morning until it's at running temp but will do it randomly sometimes too. Could my fuel rail be clogged possibly? I have a cracked exhaust manifold and bad o2 sensors but I doubt they would really cause this. Is there anything else I can do? It only picks up the o2 sensors and some sensor below the battery when I scan it at auto zone.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-03-2016, 06:02 PM
hoss50
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ignition coils?

post #19 of 24 Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualTrips View Post
I have a cracked exhaust manifold and bad o2 sensors but I doubt they would really cause this. Is there anything else I can do? It only picks up the o2 sensors and some sensor below the battery when I scan it at auto zone.
If the Check Engine Light is ON, download the trouble codes and fix the malfunctions the codes relate to.

The symptoms described, fit the malfunctions the trouble codes are showing. You should have mentioned the trouble codes when you first posted.

Buy genuine Jeep sensors, and NTK O2 sensors. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #20 of 24 Old 01-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Tommy2jeeps
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I checked my grounds it wasn't that sorry I haven't been on in a while but my Jeep is still doing this. It mainly does it in the morning until it's at running temp but will do it randomly sometimes too. Could my fuel rail be clogged possibly? I have a cracked exhaust manifold and bad o2 sensors but I doubt they would really cause this. Is there anything else I can do? It only picks up the o2 sensors and some sensor below the battery when I scan it at auto zone.
This is exactly your problem.

O2 sensor determines if your engine is running rich or lean and adjusts accordingly. So it would make sense that if either your cracked header is allowing a different exhaust mixture to be read, or if your o2 sensor is on its way out (common around 150000) that it would make your engine not run correctly.

Replace or repair the header and order up one of these. Do NOT install a bosch o2 sensor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Also if you replace your header with a APN header or knock off you will probably have clearance issues with the #5 and 6 exhaust tubes hitting the intake manifold (99's have the newer style larger intake manifold). I'd recommend buying a factory style (accordion tube) manifold and just having the infamous down pipe dent removed at the same time.
post #21 of 24 Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
CasualTrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2jeeps View Post
Quote:
This is exactly your problem.

O2 sensor determines if your engine is running rich or lean and adjusts accordingly. So it would make sense that if either your cracked header is allowing a different exhaust mixture to be read, or if your o2 sensor is on its way out (common around 150000) that it would make your engine not run correctly.

Replace or repair the header and order up one of these. Do NOT install a bosch o2 sensor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Also if you replace your header with a APN header or knock off you will probably have clearance issues with the #5 and 6 exhaust tubes hitting the intake manifold (99's have the newer style larger intake manifold). I'd recommend buying a factory style (accordion tube) manifold and just having the infamous down pipe dent removed at the same time.
A friend of mine is getting me a header off a junk Cherokee Saturday and I'll get the sensor. I'll keep you updated thanks!
post #22 of 24 Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 PM
FairlanePhil
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also, take a look at the small fuses in the underhood box.
There is a 15 amp closest to the windshield that throws 02 codes.

I just replaced one and the Jeep runs a lot better. I'm still getting 9mpg because of the header crack in mine. I have a new sensor in front and I found that the rear sensor was blowing the fuse because the wires were in contact with the driveshaft

Current: 99XJ 6.5 lift-Bought 2015
Sold: Patriot Blue 00 XJ.
'sploded: 01 stock-0331 head victim
post #23 of 24 Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
CasualTrips

Friend didn't get the manifold last week he should be getting it tomorrow.
post #24 of 24 Old 01-17-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
CasualTrips

Damn the header he had has started to crack he didn't know so now I'm gonna have order one online

Tags
backfiring , cherokee , jeep , sputtering , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.