Jeep cherokee problem with tcase or drveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep cherokee problem with tcase or drveshaft

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Logan5
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep cherokee problem with tcase or drveshaft

When i am in 4wd there is a whisling and grinding noise so i took my driveshaft off and it doesnt make the noise but when im going about 60 and let off it makes a small grinding noise below and sounds like the chain slipping. Any ideas?

Logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Inspect the drive shaft u-joints.

A loose chain will make a rubbing noise. A really loose chain will make a popping noise under heavy loads.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Logan5
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just replaced all the ujoints on it and the cv ball within the last 2 months and they still seem new so im guessing something to do with the tcase then
Logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Is this a 231 or a 242 T-case? (Fill out your profile or provide this kind of info every time you post)
Is it making this noise on the street or in the dirt?
And was the 60mph test done with or with out the rear drive shaft and what mode was the T-case in?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.