Jeep Cherokee Gage Cluster Problems (not typical) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Jeep Cherokee Gage Cluster Problems (not typical)

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Cherokee Gage Cluster Problems (not typical)

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (auto/4.0). I am having what seems to be a somewhat common issue with the gauge cluster. The problem is the gauge cluster will always light up but no gauges will work,or light-up and some gauges will work - engine temp, oil temp, and gas gauges will work and once in a while the whole gauge cluster will work correctly. As many others have mentioned my airbag light will be on other times both the airbag light and the engine light will be illuminated.

So, I took the advice of forum members and cleaned the connectors with dielectric spray, no luck. Then i replaced the connectors, no luck and had the same exact issue. Finally i went to eBay and bought a gauge cluster and I am still having the exact same issues.

Also, in the back of the gauge cluster there are two connectors. (when sitting in the driver's seat) when I ONLY plug the connector on the left into the gauge cluster, it looks identical to when both are plugged in. I have a dash that will light up, including the airbag and engine lights, but that is it. When i ONLY plug in the right connector nothing works at all, completely dead; so i assume the issue is on the right connector.

A few more factors...the gauge cluster was working perfectly when i bought the car, then i washed the car. At the time the hood did not close all the way (one side did not completely latch), there was a small opening to the engine compartment. After the wash i presume water got into something or onto something because the gauges where an issue from that point forward. Also, as i mentioned above at times some of the gauges and very rarely all of the gauges will work; but the car is always very warm when this occurs.

Is there anyone out there that can provide me with any suggestions as to what might be causing my gauge cluster problem. Would there be some some connections or harnesses under the hood that i can play with, clean, replace that may solve my problem?

If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks guys and gals and i look forward to receiving some help.

Jeep runs perfectly.

nickkid09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkid09 View Post
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (auto/4.0). I am having what seems to be a somewhat common issue with the gauge cluster. The problem is the gauge cluster will always light up but no gauges will work,or light-up and some gauges will work - engine temp, oil temp, and gas gauges will work and once in a while the whole gauge cluster will work correctly. As many others have mentioned my airbag light will be on other times both the airbag light and the engine light will be illuminated.

So, I took the advice of forum members and cleaned the connectors with dielectric spray, no luck. Then i replaced the connectors, no luck and had the same exact issue. Finally i went to eBay and bought a gauge cluster and I am still having the exact same issues.

Also, in the back of the gauge cluster there are two connectors. (when sitting in the driver's seat) when I ONLY plug the connector on the left into the gauge cluster, it looks identical to when both are plugged in. I have a dash that will light up, including the airbag and engine lights, but that is it.

This is connector C1, it will only provide advisory and warning lights. This connector has the 12 volt supply pins. Fuse 16 in the PDC and fuse 9 in the Junction Block privides the power.

When i ONLY plug in the right connector nothing works at all, completely dead; so i assume the issue is on the right connector.

This connector is C2, it relies upon C1 to be connected to get 12 volts to the instrument cluster. If C1 is not connected the functions of C2 will be dead.Rear window defogger control, 4WD light, right turn signal light, and seat belt light, goes through C2. If, when C1 and C2 are connected and you have the lights listed at least that portion of C2 is intact.

C2 is also the CCD Data Bus connection to the instrument cluster to drive the cluster indications.

A few more factors...the gauge cluster was working perfectly when i bought the car, then i washed the car. At the time the hood did not close all the way (one side did not completely latch), there was a small opening to the engine compartment. After the wash i presume water got into something or onto something because the gauges where an issue from that point forward.

Depending upon which side of the hood was ajar, water could have gotten on the PCM connectors (on the left inner fender). You may want to disconnect the PCM Gray connector and flush out the pins and pin cavities with Electronic Cleaner (not dielectric), reconnect and see if it did anything.

Also, as i mentioned above at times some of the gauges and very rarely all of the gauges will work; but the car is always very warm when this occurs.

Is there anyone out there that can provide me with any suggestions as to what might be causing my gauge cluster problem. Would there be some some connections or harnesses under the hood that i can play with, clean, replace that may solve my problem?

See above.

If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks guys and gals and i look forward to receiving some help.

Jeep runs perfectly.
Get back with your finding when you have time.
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Get back with your finding when you have time.

CCKen will help you out .. he help me figure out what was wrong with mine ... genius I say .. and many thanks
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you get the NO_BUS error at all?
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much CCKen, i will try to clean the connectors when i get home this evening. Also, the portion of the hood that was not latching was the drivers side, therefore making your suggestion a bit more likely. I will let you all know what happens. Thank you for the detailed and hopefully helpful advice.

Also, there was a "no bus" message but ever since i swapped gauge clusters, it no longer reads "no bus" just a stagnant mileage reading.
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I just cleaned the pcm connector and rechecked the fuses and i'm still having the exact same issues.

I really appreciate the help thus far but if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

I doubt this is related but every time I turn on the fog light I blow a fuse and blow my left turn signal bulb (I disconnected the fog switch).

Also I bought new key fob and Chrysler could not program it due some issue.

Like I said probably not related but I want you to have the information I have.
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So I just cleaned the pcm connector and rechecked the fuses and i'm still having the exact same issues.

I really appreciate the help thus far but if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

I doubt this is related but every time I turn on the fog light I blow a fuse and blow my left turn signal bulb (I disconnected the fog switch).

Also I bought new key fob and Chrysler could not program it due some issue.

Like I said probably not related but I want you to have the information I have.
What fuse blows when you turn on the fog light switch?

Always check details when the dealer pukes say they can't do something. See if you can find out what the exact problem was when they attempted to progrm your fob.

Also, have you had your PCM checked for active codes or pending codes. This is a must do. At least go to advance or O'reilly auto parts and have them check your codes/pending codes. Don't settle for their interpetation of any code, get the actual code. You've got too many problems not to have a code. If there is a code, or codes, post them here.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hello Again,

As you suggested I took my Jeep to Pep Boys, the only code that was thrown was the following 'Dtc definition not found'. As for the dealer, I too avoid them but I was under the impression that I had to have Chrysler program my fob. They didnt have much information other than the standard way to program the fob was not working. Anything beyond that they were going to charge to investigate. I said no and now here I am.

When I turned the fog lights on, the fuse in the panel under the glove box blew, I believe it is cavity 7, 10 amp. Now that the fog light switch is disconnected, I have not had any problems.

Again I can't say enough how much I appreciate your help.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also, as I mentioned some gauges will work intermittently, I believe the warmer the car/weather the better chance I have if a gauge working...I have attached a picture, all gauges working perfectly except tach and speedo

forumrunner_20130214_155533.jpg

. Thanks again.
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hello Again,

As you suggested I took my Jeep to Pep Boys, the only code that was thrown was the following 'Dtc definition not found'.
That's NFG.

I see in your pic that you still have a Check Engine light on. When you get a chance go to another store, like O'reilly or Advance auto parts and have them scan your Jeep. 'DTC Definition Not Found' is unacceptable. You need the actual code. If their code reader can't communicate with your PCM, there's something wrong with your CCD Bus or the DLC.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The problem is the check engine light only comes on when the gauges are working and even then it will stay off. Also, there is a definite correlation between cold weather and gauges not working. So this Saturday i turned the Jeep on to take to O'Reilly and no check engine light. O'Reillys said if the light is not illuminated, no codes will be thrown. You say there is likely a CCD Bus or DLC problem...what does this mean and ways to i have to test these issues and at what point to you believe i should take it into my mechanic? Remember the old gauge cluster would read "no bus" when the gauges were not working.

Can you tell me why the cold weather is effecting this connection? are you able to think of any connection that the cold weather would have such an effect on? Thanks again?
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The problem is the check engine light only comes on when the gauges are working and even then it will stay off. Also, there is a definite correlation between cold weather and gauges not working. So this Saturday i turned the Jeep on to take to O'Reilly and no check engine light. O'Reillys said if the light is not illuminated, no codes will be thrown. You say there is likely a CCD Bus or DLC problem...what does this mean and ways to i have to test these issues and at what point to you believe i should take it into my mechanic? Remember the old gauge cluster would read "no bus" when the gauges were not working.

Can you tell me why the cold weather is effecting this connection? are you able to think of any connection that the cold weather would have such an effect on? Thanks again?
You are saying your problem only exists when the outide air temp is cold? What happens when the engine warms up? When the cabin warms up? Anything different?

Try the tests at the DLC I outlined in this thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/dead-gauges-1437129/
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
nickkid09
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the response. i did as you said and went to O'Reillys and i did get a read out this time. Also, for whatever reason, everything is working perfectly now and there is not check engine light. I am sure it will not last but i thought you should know. Also, i have not done the DLC test but i will.

Trouble Codes:

1. P1698 - NO CCD Messages From TCM
2. P1694 - NO CCD Messages From PCM
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks for the response. i did as you said and went to O'Reillys and i did get a read out this time. Also, for whatever reason, everything is working perfectly now and there is not check engine light. I am sure it will not last but i thought you should know. Also, i have not done the DLC test but i will.

Trouble Codes:

1. P1698 - NO CCD Messages From TCM
2. P1694 - NO CCD Messages From PCM
Those codes indcate a problem with the Transmission Control Module (TCM), as you can figure out. A defective TCM can cause problems on the CCD Data Bus and can cause loss of the instrument cluster. Short of having wiring programs, you may want to consider replacing the TCM.

The TCM part number for your XJ is 56041386AB.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

CCken is always helpin out

Tags
gauge cluster , gauge lighting , short circuit , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.