jeep cherokee Dashboard / Instrument Cluster (no bus) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > jeep cherokee Dashboard / Instrument Cluster (no bus)

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 10-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
kareemsi

jeep cherokee Dashboard / Instrument Cluster (no bus)

the same problem as shown in pic also no bus appears on dashboard

kareemsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Beefcake7777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what are you talking about?
Beefcake7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
jkylshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

your out of gas? and theres large printing across your instrument cluster?
jkylshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Beefcake7777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkylshark View Post
your out of gas? and theres large printing across your instrument cluster?
yes i think that seems to be his problem...... silly egyptians
Beefcake7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Additional information is required.

What model year Cherokee ?
what engine size, gasoline or diesel ?
what transmission type automatic or 5-speed ?

Besides No-Bus what else do you see or hear. Does the engine run when No-Bus is displayed ? Do the gauges function properly when No-Bus is dispalyed ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

From what I've read here, this is what I've gleaned:

If it won't start, your crank position sensor is bad.

If it will start, your gauge cluster is loose or the contacts are dirty. The gauge cluster uses two cartridge-style connectors that can come loose or get dirty. Try pressing in on the clear front of the gauge cluster. If it's loose, sometimes pressing in on it is enough to reseat the connectors.

If that doesn't work, it may be necessary to remove the cluster and clean the contacts.

Pull from the bottom on the center bezel. It's held in with clips and just pops out.

After that, take out the four screws that hold the upper dash in.

Take out the 3 screws at the bottom of the lower panel under the steering column.

You can then pull the lower panel off by hand. It's held in with clips like the center bezel.

Now pull off the upper dash. It's held in with clips. The two parts that will be difficult are getting the headlight switch through the hole in the dash and getting the rubber collar off from behind the steering column. The rubber collar fastens in the bottom. Take it loose and pull it out from around the plastic cover.

I removed mine completely because it was a pain in the ***. I also slightly enlarged the hole in the dash for the headlight switch to make future repairs and mods easier.

Once you have the dash off, there will be 4 screws holding in the gauge cluster. Take them out and the gauge will just pop out. From there, it will be obvious what connectors to clean.

Last edited by Kevin108; 10-31-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my brother's '99 XJ does the same thing....when you have the headlights on and turn on the dash lights all the gauges die and it says "no bus" idk what it means and we havent been able to fix it
'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
kareemsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake7777 View Post
yes i think that seems to be his problem...... silly egyptians
you think that is my problem i'm running out of gas hahahhhahah
running out of gas = no bus
genius

model year Cherokee 98
engine size 3.7l 6cylinders
automatic transmission
the engine doesn't run when no bus is displayed all guages are not functioning
Unread 10-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
jkylshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

welll with a cherokee thats usually the problem?
jkylshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Read through these. Jeep & Off-Road Discussion Forum for every model plus Galleries, Reviews, Links, Parts & Articles. Jeep Wrangler Grand Cherokee Liberty CJ MJ XJ TJ YJ DJZJ WJ - Search Results for "no bus"
Unread 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
kareemsi

we found the problem it is the ecm thanks all for replying
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
rickcouture

not the connector on mine

Same problem - instrument cluster goes on and off randomly. went so far as to solder each wire onto the pins to rule out bad connector. Checked crank position sensor, and a couple others, battery connection, etc.

Gave up and paid the local shop Almost $300 to diagnose problem. They say it is the cluster itself....

So now I'm looking for a used cluster.

Anyone got an extra cluster for a 2000 Cherokee Classic/sport?
rickcouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
fasteddie52
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, just got signed up. I see there are lots of no bus threads, not a good sign...I recently bought this 99cherokee as my daughters 1st car, thinking it was a gem with only 84k on it...it had some history of key problems, and guage problems which the good Christian lady assured me were fixed after they'd spent over 1100 bucks on it...All was ok for a month or so, but it's now showed some of the probs from before with no bus, guages dead, check engine, key lite, etc. but so far no non starts or start/die scenarios altho she did report a start then die after approx 20 sec. when she went to put in gear...I'm guessing that may have been just a stall, cuz it fired right back up. PCM and SKIM units have both been replaced, and connector splice mod done to guages...what's the best thread to follow based on those symptoms??? The key problems resulting in no starts or dieing are what most concern me, glitchy guages I can live with...
fasteddie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie52 View Post
Ok, just got signed up. I see there are lots of no bus threads, not a good sign...I recently bought this 99cherokee as my daughters 1st car, thinking it was a gem with only 84k on it...it had some history of key problems, and guage problems which the good Christian lady assured me were fixed after they'd spent over 1100 bucks on it...All was ok for a month or so, but it's now showed some of the probs from before with no bus, guages dead, check engine, key lite, etc. but so far no non starts or start/die scenarios altho she did report a start then die after approx 20 sec. when she went to put in gear...I'm guessing that may have been just a stall, cuz it fired right back up. PCM and SKIM units have both been replaced, and connector splice mod done to guages...what's the best thread to follow based on those symptoms??? The key problems resulting in no starts or dieing are what most concern me, glitchy guages I can live with...
2 types of NO BUS occur on the XJ.

1. NO BUS and engine doesn't start. 99% of the time, this is a shorted crankshaft position sensor.

2. NO BUS and the engine runs fine. This is a cluster issue, NOT a crankshaft position sensor issue.

For flaky NO BUS that don't correlate with engine no-starts or symptoms, concentrate on the cluster connections AND GROUND.

You mention only one stall so I wouldn't correlate that directly unless the NO BUS was present AT the time of the stall.

Disassemble, clean the entire circuit with some electrical contact cleaner, use some dielectric grease (this is very important in this fix), then reassemble. Some good info. above.

Most (not all) see a fix with this.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
fasteddie52
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, TJ, I've seen you on these threads, and yer sig sez it all, right there...as for the key probs i.e. start/die and key light coming on, has that been a particularly frequent problem on these jeeps, not just cherokees but all with the SKIM option??? That's the one that really has me worried, don't want to see my daughter stranded due to skrewed up anti-theft system...as I said previous owner had problems with that, so far daughter has said it did one start/die instance(I forgot, she did report that it did do that once) and the other instance which prolly was a stall, I'm guessing...I suppose I'm looking for either reassurance that key probs aren't common, or verification that I need to look into this further...
fasteddie52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.