JB weld brake lines??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > JB weld brake lines???

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-09-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
jeepercreeperXJ

JB weld brake lines???

I was installing my YJ hoses. The driver side came of and went on fine.

On the passenger side, however, the bolt fitting (or whatever its called) that connects the hard line to the hose was all rounded off. I could get a wrench on there, but as I turned I could tell it was about to slip and make it worse.

Anyone know how to tackle this? Only thing I could think to do is cut the end of the hardline from a junkyard jeep and mine, and JB weld the junkyard end to my line. Yay or nay?

If there is a better fix, I would much rather do that. I'm not even sure if JB will work or not.

Better yet, is it possible to get the whole hardline out in one piece? That way I can swap the entire line.

Thanks,

--Chris--

Shaved; 4.0 I6; AW4; PaceSetter header; Rusty's K&N Intake; Rusty's Throttle Body Spacer; Flowmaster 40; Custom long arm 5.5"; Dana30/Dana44LSD w/ 3.55's; 33x10.5 BFG MT's; 15x8 Eagle Alloys w/ 3.5" BS;
jeepercreeperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
96JXJ

Even if it would work,do you want to trust yours & other lives to JBWELD? Replace the hard line. You should be able to get pre bent lines at any parts store. Or get the straight lines & bend to fit. JIM.
Unread 01-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Jeds Sr.
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well you might be able to splice the hard line with a union, but I wouldn't. Break lines have lots of pressure so you want to make sure everything is in A-1 condition.
Jeds Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
JohnnyBling

You're kiddin, right?
JohnnyBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
B-Radical
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Really, I hope you're kidding. Brake Lines take up to 10,000 pounds of pressure. DO NOT JB WELD. If you don't replace the whole line, you will have to use a union, but not with a compression type fitting, you will have to cut and flare the old and new lines. If you don't know how to do so, your best bet is to have a mechanic do it for you.
B-Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
Nevada1

JB Weld on a brake line

WARNING: KEEP JB WELD OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN
Nevada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada1
JB Weld on a brake line

WARNING: KEEP JB WELD OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN
Just make sure to reinforce it with some brake line-quality duct tape!!!
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
cmotsvt

This thread is just scary.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
bee guz

brake line

Get a short piece of brake line with the same size fitting, should be 3/16", and a union cut the line on a nice stright area install the union, and the piece of brake line, cut to fit, between the union and the brake hose bracket, done that 1000's of times, no problems....
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem on my XJ. When working on hydraulic lines you are supposed to use flare nut wrenches. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

These reduce the likeliness to round a fitting off. On occasion the nut can be too rounded and at that point as mentioned above you should cut the tubing and reflare the tubing with a fresh nut. http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/flare_brake_line.htm

Unfortunately those particular lines don't lend themselves to being redone, so in cases such as this I have been lucky enough to get the offending nut undone and reattached using vise grips. It isn't the ideal solution, but it has worked twice for me and prevented massive rebending of a front brake line.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Go to the junkyard and get the whole line off anther xj it might not be easy but will beat bending up a new line and if you are asking about jb weld on a brake line then this is a better fix for your problem. And will be cheaper than buying a double flare tool or a tubing bender and three new straight lines. One for practice one for when you bend it the wrong way one to get it right. If you do bend your line yourself make a mock up from a piece of wire first. If you go to the junk yard take some flare nut wrenches with you. If you use jb weld stick your head between your legs and kiss your butt good bye.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Autozone will lend you a flare tool and tubing bender. A new line and fittings will cost around $5.
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Perfect example of why using the right type of wrench will always prevent problems.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
Perfect example of why using the right type of wrench will always prevent problems.
I wish that was true. I rounded one of my brake line fittings using a high quality flare nut wrench. Those fittings are soft.
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
jeepercreeperXJ

hehe.... shows how much I know about brake lines... Good thing I asked.

I guess if I'm gonna be doing away with it anyways, I might as well try using vise grips. If it finishes it off, oh well. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks guys, and excuse my stupidity .

--Chris--
Shaved; 4.0 I6; AW4; PaceSetter header; Rusty's K&N Intake; Rusty's Throttle Body Spacer; Flowmaster 40; Custom long arm 5.5"; Dana30/Dana44LSD w/ 3.55's; 33x10.5 BFG MT's; 15x8 Eagle Alloys w/ 3.5" BS;
jeepercreeperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.