ive searched for 10 days and cannot find my engine swap answer.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ive searched for 10 days and cannot find my engine swap answer..

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
coalregionXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ive searched for 10 days and cannot find my engine swap answer..

ive been searching for what seems liek forever for the answer to this question.

Ive got an 88 with the renix P.O.S in it , it barely runs now.

can i bolt my renix intake to a H.O head and have it work? i dont want to have to change everything over to H.O , i just want to bolt my intake and basically use the H.O head and block.

please help me , if its too much if a P.I.T.A to make this jeep come back to life ill have to sell it because i dont have the deep pockets to make it work..it would be a shame seeing as how its int MINT condition other than the motor

32's mastercraft courser mt's
homemade snorkel
"hold my beer and watch this
coalregionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Ill buy your Renix. I love them. Mine is flawless.

What exactly is the problem?
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
zedpapa
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i put a 2002 grand cherokee 4.0 engine in my 89 and i used the 89 intake/exhaust and it "bolted" in without too much trouble. had to drill a few holes though... take the manifold gasket and see if all the ports on the head match up. if they do(and they should) it should work no problem.

zedpapa

1970 dodge dart w/225 /6, holley 390cfm 4bbl, compcams 252s, clifford shorty headers w/2.5" exhaust w/flowmaster, aluminum A-833OD, 8 1/4 w/3.21 gears and a suregrip
zedpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
coalregionXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

well since i first got it its had a nasty main bearing knock , now either the head cracked or the headgasket went , im thinking head crack im thinking head crack cause its milky as hell under the valve cover but no where else. oil seems to be fine. but the knock is getting worse so the motor IS going to pop soon. i have big plans for this jeep. but only when i get it running right , thank you for your answers , i didint even THINK of the gasket trick.

first (since were all lazy on a sunday morning) im going to call Advanced Auto and have them check the intake gasket part numbers for both motors and see if they match if not im going to have them pull bothe the gaskets and see if they match

zed papa what did you have to drill holes for?
homemade snorkel
Unread 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
zedpapa
1989 XJ Cherokee 

when the redesign happened in 97(?) they changed where the motor mounts bolt on and how the waterpump bolts on and where the alternator bolts on. the new engine used the coil pack ignition and i swapped the distributor in and had to drill a hole for the temp sensor and the knock sensor. new motor also had a metal gasket for the manifolds, but i used the fiber one intended for the 89. the differences i saw between the 2002 4.0 and the 89 4.0 was the intake ports are about 1/4" higher and have a slightly different shape, the exhaust ports are slightly smaller, and i think the block in 1/2" wider somewhere around the motor mounts. other than that in went right in. trans bolted up, flywheel bolted, had to swap the front cover, no problem there. took a while to do it, but i would do it again.

zedpapa

1970 dodge dart w/225 /6, holley 390cfm 4bbl, compcams 252s, clifford shorty headers w/2.5" exhaust w/flowmaster, aluminum A-833OD, 8 1/4 w/3.21 gears and a suregrip
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
coalregionXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well i just picked up a 96? grand cherokee 4.0 . im not 100% on the year but my bro said he saw/heard this motor run right before it was pulled so im good there.. motor has 80,000 according to odometer ...got it with all accessories for 100 bucks!

Ok zedpapa your turuning out to be my hero right now! I dont theink the temp sensor or the knock sensor will be a problem but the only thing thats scaring me right now is the motor mounts

"and i think the block in 1/2" wider somewhere around the motor mounts."

im guessing you meant is in stead of in but did the motor mounts themselves need to be changed? or was it just SROUND the motor mounts were 1/2 inch wider? if the block itself was wider how did you make this work?

Im sorry for all the questions but this is my DD and i cant leave it down for longer than a week.. id like to get it done in a weekend tho. THANKS zedpapa your the man right now.
homemade snorkel
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
zedpapa
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i noticed this issue when i went put the motor in and the motor mount bolt holes did not line up. i had to drill a new hole for the through bolt on the motor mount bracket. i did the passenger side first and noticed the motor wasn't centered, off to the right 1/4". so i pulled the other mount and drilled it. then the motor was off to the left side. i think the fix is to elongate the holes so you can properly center the engine. i wouldn't elongate the holes because if the bolts ever came loose it rock from side to side. i also had to make a spacer for one of the mounts because of the difference in blocks. i was able to everything from my 89, mounts and brackets. just take your time and measure twice.

the temp sensor hole i had to drill was in the head at the left rear. for the knock sensor i used an existing bolt hole in the block and enlarged and retapped to correct thread. the coolant sensor i put in to one of the block drains.

i don't know the exact year the blocks changed but i am sure someone on here can tell you. you could probably do this in a week working on it full time. it took me 2 months working 1-2 hours at a time. a couple buddies helping might help you get it done a weekend but i wouldn't count on it.

zedpapa

Unread 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
zedpapa
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i used the 89 engine mounts. the bolt pattern on them is the same but there are differences in the block. if i remember correctly, i had to make a spacer to for one side and cut the block down on the other side. the side i cut down, i drilled hole deeper and tapped further to use the right length bolt.

zedpapa

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.