IPF light install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > IPF light install

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Braeden

IPF light install

I am in the process of installing IPF 968 lights. THe instructions tell me to tap the yellow wire coming from the switch to the high beam + connection. There are 2 hoses going into the headlight area. Which one contains the high beam lead and which wire in that hose is the lead? One of the hoses is about 4 times the diameter of the other if it helps.

Unread 09-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Hold on, before you tap into the wire, first deside when you want the lights to work. If you want it to turn on with the low beams only, then install it as it says. If you want them to only work with the high beams, then tap into the low beam wire instead. Or you can make it so they work with the switch so they stay on no matter what you heave the headlights doing.

Anyway, the high beam wire is RED if that helps, the low beam wire is PURPLE, and the ground is whatever the 3rd wire is.
Unread 09-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Braeden

Which wire should I tap it into if i want them to not be related to what the regular headlights are doing. I would like the option to turn them on regardless of the high beams and without effecting them. I am guessign this means hook it to the ground.
Unread 09-04-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
GottaBeJeep

You can get it to work with the button and the highbeams, just connect the switch to the harness, and run the yellow wire to the red wire like Matt said. When the switch is in the on position, the lights will come on with the brights. If the switch is in the off position, the lights will not come on with the brights. The easiest way and place I found to tap into the highbeam is nearest the bulb connection, that way you don't have to dig through that tubing to find the right wires. Just take the headlamp bezel/grill part off to expose the bulb (do this on the driver's side to make it easy). Take the bulb out like you are changing it. Take the bulb harness, find the red wire fairly close to the connector, make an incision to expose the wire, and use the tap connector (which is junk, but will work) to connect the yellow to the red. Put everything back together and your done.

Hope that helps.
Unread 09-04-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

No no, not the ground. This is getting me all confused now, I hate wiring. Just so you know, to be legal, the fogs must turn off when the high beams turn on, thats the reason IPF does that. I think you don't hook that yellow wire up to anything if you want it to stay on. I can't be totally sure, but I'm almost positive thats what you do.
Unread 09-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
GottaBeJeep

The instructions are actually pretty good, and tell you what to do with the wires depending how you want them to operate. I believe Matt is right with leaving the yellow discoed. Try it out, hook up everything but the yellow, plug the battery back in, turn the ignition to the on position, and mess with the button with the headlights off. If they work, then great. If not then we'll have to figure out something else.
GottaBeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Braeden

My instructions dont sya anything about al;ternate ways to wire them. I have everything hooked up but the yellow wire and the battery connection. My luck has bitten me and it has started to rain. I am not thrilled about doing wiring and reconnceting the battering in the rain. THanks for the help.
Unread 09-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Oh come on, its only 12V. haha, no seriuosly, you won't get shocked my a car battery, however it it possible to bet a slow burn.

Like I said before, to be legal the lights must be wired up the way IPF says so, that is why they don't offer alternate wiring solutions.
Unread 09-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
Braeden

Yeah, I went and hooked it up anyway. I have everything according to the directions, except the yellow wire off the switch is not connected to anything. My new light will not turn on regardless of headlight/brights condition. Any ideas? I would like to have it so I can have them on whenver, but if I have to, I guess i can hook them up to mybrights to be legal. I understand why fogs can only be run without high beams, but these are driving lights, so it seems that runnign them withthe brights would be an advantage.
Unread 09-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
GottaBeJeep

OK, I think this will work. The yellow needs power from somewhere to work the switch to work the lights, so if you don't hook to the power of the high beams, then find another source that is on when the car is on. A place I have used before is the fuse panel. Find an empty slot, use a hot lead finder (that little pen doohicky with the red light that turns on when you hit a hot wire), and plug the yellow wire into the positive with a connector that is made just for the fuse slot. You could also tap into things like the hot wire on the stereo or similar, but the draw of the lights could give less power to whatever you are tapped into. Anyways, that yellow needs power. I guess the easiest would be to route it back to the fuse panel under the hood near the battery. At the front of the fuse panel is a little compartment with a bolt pointing up, and a nut holding a wire to it. That is a hot lead. just wrap the yellow wire to that and see if it works. It should, because most of my positive leads come off that instead of the battery, because that lead only comes on with the jeep, where as the battery is always hot.

Dang that was a bunch of confusion, but I think you can sort out the gist of it.
GottaBeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.