IOD fuse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > IOD fuse

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
sawyerg
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

IOD fuse

1998 jeep cherokee, 4.0L auto 4x4
I have recently been fighting an issue with the #16 IOD fuse in the PDC under the hood. The problems started with all gauges occasionally going dead and the air bag light coming on, but a well placed smack to the dash always brought them back it has been this way since I bought it 2 years ago. Then recently the radio would not turn on unless I opened either of front doors and closed them. Also pushing the dome light on or opening the visor mirror for light would turn the radio on. Now I currently have no gauges (cluster still lights up), no radio, no cargo/ dome lights, no highbeams (blue indicator still illuminates) or door chime. I can replace the fuse but the second I open the drivers or passengers door the fuse pops again. Power windows still operate fine, locks only work while jeep is running. I've un plugged the under hood light, front dome light, pulled the #16(cargo lamp, courtesy lamps, radio, instrument cluster, under hood lamp, transmission control module) and #17(radio) fuses in the kick panel with no change.Any insight is appreaciated!

sawyerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The smack on the dash thing makes me think you have a weak connection in a dash plug.
Is the radio factory or aftermarket, and if aftermarket, what circuit feeds it and how long has it been installed?
The dome light circuitry is somewhat unique in that the door switches complete the ground leg to turn on the lights.
The radio may be too much additional load for the interior light circuit to support.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter your jeep in the July Cherokee Of The Month contest!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The instrument panel going dead and functions returning after a good smack, is very common and has nothing to do with the IOD. See this thread, the XJ is almost exactly the same -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ite-up-179282/

Wiring harness issues in the doors are very common. They can cause a short circuit, which would explain most or all of the symptoms your Jeep has. Voltage shorting to the dome lamp circuit and/or to the speaker wires will probably what you find. Unplug the door wire harnesses, if the fuse stop blowing, take off the door trim panels, and find/fix the problem. Inspect for damaged wires, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.