Intermittent turn signal, radio, and power windows - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Intermittent turn signal, radio, and power windows

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Kapazza
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Intermittent turn signal, radio, and power windows

This is my first post on Jeep Forum, but I've been reading ever since I got my 2000 XJ back in May. After some searching, I narrowed the problem down to either the ignition switch or lock cylinder. The guy who sold it to me said someone tried to break into the vehicle and ever since the radio randomly cuts out, the turn signals stop working every so often, and the passenger side power window switch stopped working.

The turn signals haven't been working for a while so today I took a look around the steering column. When I took the lock cylinder out, the turn signals came back. I noticed some damage around the cylinder (see pic), and the key feels loose. The video shows how barely touching the key starts and stops the alarm chimes.

Is this a lock cylinder or ignition switch problem (or both)?

Last edited by Kapazza; 11-25-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Kapazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I'd replace the cylinder since you know someone goobered it already. Check fuses, connections and such before the switch replacement. I've had all those symptoms from an alarm(not factory) Install that was done poorly.
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Kapazza
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is the trim ring cover around the cylinder an important part? The cheapest I can find it online is over $20 shipped. Otherwise I'll just replace the cylinder and find a locksmith who can match it to my keys.

EDIT: Took another look at the cylinder and it's not OEM. No point replacing junk with new junk. Found all 3 OEM parts (trim ring cover, cylinder, and switch) on eBay for about $45 shipped. I'll update when parts are in and installed. Coincidentally, after messing with the cylinder yesterday, everything has been working just fine. But I know the next time I hit a pothole or bump the wheel/dash the wrong way the problems will be back.

Last edited by Kapazza; 11-26-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Kapazza
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well it may be too early to claim victory, but I installed the new lock cylinder, trim ring and ignition switch on Monday morning and I've not had any turn signal or power window problems since. I'm still having radio issues, but I found pennies on top of the head unit when I took a look the other day...I'm guessing I'll have to crack open the unit and remove about $0.92 in change to fix the problem.

Question: If I unplug the head unit, will I need to get the "radio code" from the dealership to turn it back on?
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Kapazza
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone was interested.

The stock radio was just bad. Replaced it with an Alpine CDE-134HD from Crutchfield ($115 shipped with mounting parts included) and no more problems.

The turn signal problem returned. Found this video, then got the $16 part (EP27) at AutoZone:
Problem solved.

I diagnosed the window problem to a faulty window lock button connection. This thread explains how to fix it (just need to resolder a connection): http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wind...-13287/index9/

If you don't need the window lock function anyway, a slightly easier method can be found here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-help-1122384/

So, the ignition switch and lock cylinder most likely weren't the problem, but they were junk, and now I have decent condition OEM parts instead.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.