Intermittent starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Intermittent starting issue

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Intermittent starting issue

Hi! I have a 98' Jeep Cherokee XJ 2wd and it started having a starting issue after I bought it when it had 140,000 miles. Has 142,000 miles on it now, automatic tranny. Will start up fine in the morning then when I go get coffee, park it, half the time it will not start!! UGH! I usually can get it to start up by shifting from park to low several times. All the dash lights come on, but no click from the starter. Has new cables and battery. Starter is good. Like a switch is dirty or ???? I also work at a auto repair shop, and was told the nuetral safety switch is in the computer NOT a seperate switch that would just mount to the side of the tranny. The tech here said it was the switch, we ordered one, was the wrong type, sent it back now maybe it could be a fuse? OR the computer, blah blah blah! I can't afford to just buy parts only to find it that isn't the problem! I also don't want to be where I HAVE to start it up in a hurry in an emergency situation and it doesn't start right up. There is some play in the shifter. Any ideas on what I should do?? HELP!!!

Last edited by 56Mercgal; 06-14-2013 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: more info
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those are the symptoms of a dirty NSS, located on the side of the AW-4 transmission. Use the Google and find out how to clean it yourself.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hi Tim! Thanks for replying! My build date on the Jeep is 10/97. Would that be the same exact tranny you picture there? Was there also a AW2 transmission? Mine is 2wd, if it's much differant than a 4wd. and the guy here could not locate the NSS switch on the side of the tranny. That's why he said it is located inside of the computer possibly.

Last edited by 56Mercgal; 06-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: more info needed
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 2wd AW-4 and 4x4 AW-4 are almost exactly the same except for the length of the output, the spline count and 4wd adapter or not.

Your mechanic is a blind Moron, the NSS is in the same location 1986-2001. I suggest you find a better trained and more skilled mechanic.

NSS info:
  • 1987-1996 the NSS is the same.
  • 1997-2001 the NSS wiring harness connector is different than 87-96, but the internals are for the most part the same.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Got it off!

Hi Tim, my friend got it off for me today, not the guy who runs the shop I work at who I think just didn't want to get under the Jeep to really look for it. Took less than 5 min. Ordered a new NSS so should be in by next weekend! Then it's the fuel pump that will be replaced. After that it should be good to go anywhere! Have a great weekend! Carrie

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.