Intermittent High Idle 98 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Intermittent High Idle 98 XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
kjacksonmusic
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Intermittent High Idle 98 XJ

Helloooo Jeepers!

I have an issue that I have been battling on my own and with a shop for about a month and I hope we can solve it here. I recently had my Transmission re-built and a bunch of other maintenance done on my 231,000 mile Jeep, here is the full list:

Rebuild Transmission
Radiator fan
Valve cover gasket
Rear breaks / wheel Cylinders
Freeze Plug
Brake booster
TPS sensor
IAC replaced
Battery Terminals
Recharge A/C and reconnect vacuum lines that control A/C & Cruise Control.

Since this has been done I have gained a high idle that comes about once a week or once every two weeks. The idle is at about 2k when I am in park and drops down to about 1k when I am in gear (standard is about 800-900 for me). Before this issue happens the SES light will normally come on and to get the issue to stop I can simply clear the computer via a scanner or unhooking the battery cable and turning the key a few times etc. Once the SES light is off the engine will idle fine.. until a week or so later.

The shop that has been doing the work on it though this was a TPS issue so we replaced that, which didn't solve it and then the IAC which also didn't solve it so they investigated vacuum line issues which came up with a leak in my break booster, which has now been replaced. Still I am having this weird idle situation.

To note when I take the car to the shop when the issue is happening and the SES light is on they only codes they read are for the TPS and the Fuel pump, which has been bad for about 2 years now. ( I am unaware of the exact codes but could get them if need be).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by kjacksonmusic; 06-22-2013 at 12:13 PM..
kjacksonmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
kjacksonmusic
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update!

The SES light and idle issue has been pretty consistent the past few days, I couldnt even get the light do go away like I used to. So I turned the jeep on and unplugged the TPS and the idle went smooth plugged it back in and it spiked to 2k. I then figured maybe the TPS installed was faulty or improper so I grabbed another one from the autoparts store and installed it. We shall see if that fixes it.

Update 2!

Seems to be a bit better but the tach flutters when I let off the accelerator. I am so baffled. for example ill be driving 50mph or so and i let off the accelerator to slow down and I can watch the tach drop down slowly then rapidly then go back up to about 2k and remain there until I apply the brakes which brings it back to idle speed 800-900..

Heres a video of the tach, after the jump i resume my speed so thats why it goes back up to 2k.

Last edited by kjacksonmusic; 06-23-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
kjacksonmusic
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update #3!

The Jeep stalled today while slowy moving in reverse.
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
kjacksonmusic
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Resolved,

After finding some issues with melted cables in the wiring harness and splicing them and replacing them, the problem still existed. I then found that when the issue is happening being that it is intermittent the steering wheel controls dont work or control the wrong things such as CC makes the horn honk, horn does nothing etc.

After doing a bit of research I found that my clock spring was bad and unplugged it, immediatly the codes went away for TPS and the Jeep ran great. I found a new clock spring on Morris 4x4 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/) they seemed to be the only place to carry one with CC, although it came at a high cost.

So it seems after all of the diags and repairs this one thing was my cause for random stalling and high engine revs after 2 years. Bittersweet.
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i bought mine off ebay. might want to try there first

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacksonmusic View Post
.... I found a new clock spring on Morris 4x4 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/) they seemed to be the only place to carry one with CC, although it came at a high cost.
Try searching for a TJ Wrangler clock spring. They are often cheaper than XJ, but are exactly the same part. I have had excellent results with previously owned clock springs from the junkyard.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.