Intermittent Clutch Issues 1993 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Intermittent Clutch Issues 1993 Cherokee

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
mark512

Intermittent Clutch Issues 1993 Cherokee

Hi everyone! First of all, a huge thanks to everyone who posts on here. This forum has been very helpful in the past.

I have a 1993 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0L engine. It's got 219k on it. It's been on its last legs for years, but somehow it just keeps going...

I've had intermittent clutch issues for several years. The clutch sometimes goes really soft and engages just barely off the floor. Every now and then it's bad enough that it's very hard to shift. Topping the fluid off helps but doesn't quite make it go away. But then the problem will go away on its own, only to return a few months later. It seems to be worse in cold weather. It came back a couple weeks ago and is worse that it's been before.

There doesn't seem to be any fluid leaking from the master cylinder, either inside the car or under the hood. I don't see any leaks in the lines or around the bell housing.

I'm going to bleed the system and see if that helps. The master cylinder sounds cheap and easy to replace. But is there any point in replacing it if there are no visible leaks?

I believe that replacing the slave requires dropping the transmission. That's probably beyond me, especially since I don't have access to a garage these days. If the slave has to be replaced, anyone care to guess how much a shop would charge for that?

Thanks everyone!

mark512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
06dak
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The slave is in the trans. $500-$600 for a shop to do it, plus parts. Guess how I know?

I bought a clutch kit Form partsgeek, was less than $100

I found someone who does it on the side for $300, but still need to get it to him to get it fixed. Right now my XJ just clutters up the garage...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.