Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

intakes a plus or not

791 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  dynamite44 
#1 ·
i was wondering if a better intake for my xj would do me any good without doing a lot more mods. is there a noticable change right after putting on a intake like k&n just for example?and also what is the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift . is one better than the other or what?

#2 ·
bart1 said:
i was wondering if a better intake for my xj would do me any good without doing a lot more mods. is there a noticable change right after putting on a intake like k&n just for example?and also what is the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift . is one better than the other or what?
For 99% of cars, an intake is a giant waste of money.

#6 ·
to get back on topic:

1) on xj's stick with high-flow cat and performance aftermarket muffler as first mod. why? your stock cat is shot to hell already, and the stock muffler is a real performance killer. dyno-proven gains are 5hp and 7hp.

2) Next up is air filter box mod. drill some extra holes in front/fender side of lower airbox using circle saw, say 2 or 2.5 inch. remove the bug shield/water plate that covers up the hole behind the left front headlight....this restores cold air to the intake air box if stock. be careful going through 3' deep water after this mod. hell, that's deep enough to hurt alot of parts if you go fast enough.

if your wallet is deep, then go with a rusty's or k&n FIPK, it's been shown to help a bit.

3) after this, then consider a 3" lift, and 30" tires. 31"s start to hurt with stock gears, but a stickshift and mod #1 make things this far ok.

4) don't worry about aftermarket intake manifolds unless you are there already, then a 99' or newer has better runners. you might just want to stick with a 1" throttle body spacer to give a little longer intake manifold runner length. I have the template so you can hack one out of a chunk of 1" aluminum and save $30.

after all this, you'll have a 205-210 hp, 260ft-lb at flywheel 4.0 H.O. output, which, beyond that, will require some more bucks and you are almost ready to get a stroker kit to make more power than that.

#8 ·
dynamite44 said:
some will say they feel a difference.
I did

dynamite44 said:
when i was a kid, i'd swear i could jump higher and run faster with a new pair of sneakers.
:laugh: I know I did

dynamite44 said:
it may be a mind game, but who knows. it looks/seems more efficient
It is and it is :D :thumbsup:

~~~

If you are truely planning on replacing most exhaust parts, then you can do a homebrew intake mod (or go to rusty's website and purchase that) and then later on down the line change out the exhaust manifold and rest of the exhaust. It will definitely help the engine breath. If you're not planning on spending all that cash... then a cone air intake doesn't hurt. If you don't even wish to that, then at least get a k&n drop in filter and do the stock airbox mod that was previously suggested.

hope that helps, have fun!:thumbsup:

#9 ·
aftermarket intake manifolds??? Who makes them?? I've looked around and I can only find them for carb'd XJ's and not Fuel injected.

#10 ·
XJdamyankee said:
aftermarket intake manifolds??? Who makes them?? I've looked around and I can only find them for carb'd XJ's and not Fuel injected.
somewhere, someone out there put a 99 up (or maybe it was 2000 up) XJ intake mainfold on an older 4.0L engine. they had to shave down the power steering bracket or some metal from the intake mainfold to make it fit there, but that was about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.