Instrument Panel, Radio, Interior Lights, Now Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Instrument Panel, Radio, Interior Lights, Now Won't Start

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 07-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
JeepGrl22
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question Instrument Panel, Radio, Interior Lights, Now Won't Start

I'll apologize in advance, this may already be in a thread but I have looked everywhere!

To start, I got the dreaded "no bus" message, got the part and replaced. Instrument panel still not working, and now my radio does not work, nor do my interior lights or locks. And now, my jeep will start and then die after about 3 seconds or so. I took out the dash and it started right back up! But again, not starting. Fuel pump is good, checking battery now as well as fuses. I'm pretty sure it is electrical. And yes, I checked the cam position sensor, when I took it out, jeep wouldn't even turn. Put it back in, turned over but died immediately.

Not sure where to go from here, any ideas???

Thanks!

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2WD

JeepGrl22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

When you had the no-bus, did the Jeep run normally or not ? What part was replaced ? Does your Jeep have the Jeep factory installed Chip-in-Key anti-theft with the light gray keys, or are the keys black, or even just plain metal ?

skim-key.jpg

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #3
JeepGrl22
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep ran fine with "no bus" code. The part replaced was the TSB required patch harness for the C2 cluster. And now, I'm getting no power at all to the cluster. I have the darker gray key, unfortunately the dealership is closed and the locksmiths here do not have the programming available for my jeep. But that is on my list to have checked tomorrow when everything opens again. Went looking for a computer too, thinking maybe that's it, but couldn't find one. But for now, I'm going to clean all the grounds (again), and hope to just get her started.

Do you think it may be the key?

Thanks so much!
Unread Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #4
JeepGrl22
2001 XJ Cherokee 

picture of my key
img_7173.jpg  

Last edited by JeepGrl22; Yesterday at 09:59 AM.. Reason: upload image
Unread Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The light gray key has the anti-theft feature, all the other keys do not. If the Jeep runs normally with a no-bus or dead cluster, that problem is strictly an instrument cluster connection issue, and not an engine starting/running issue.

The blown fuse suggests wiring issues. A worn out ignition switch is also a possibility. Try unplugging all the wire harnesses from the drivers door and trying to start. The wire plugs are behind the plastic trim panel and hood release handle area. The problem is not likely a computer issue, but if you can find one for less than $25 it would be worth swapping computers to test the original.

Remove, clean with electrical contact cleaner spray and firmly reconnect this wire plug.
plug.jpg

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #6
JeepGrl22
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Disconnected and reconnected and cleaned what you said and still didn't start. Still no power to the instrument panel either. I checked all fuses again and there are no blown fuses. Will check ignition switch tomorrow after work. What else do you think it could be?

Thanks!!
Unread Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I see that you said you checked all the fuses but take a look at this troubleshooting guide anyway. These fuses will not cause a "NO BUS" situation however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.